Spectra a5 to a9

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb9rre

Spectra a5 to a9

Post by kb9rre »

can anyone help me out here. i want to put a9 head on my midpower spectra. i used to remeber how but it has been awhile. i read the posting on batlabs but cannot seem to change it on mlm board. :o
No greater love than this, that a man lays down his life for a friend.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: Spectra a5 to a9

Post by Josh »

kb9rre wrote:can anyone help me out here. i want to put a9 head on my midpower spectra. i used to remeber how but it has been awhile. i read the posting on batlabs but cannot seem to change it on mlm board. :o
What I would do is change the model number to a W9, and also setup the moflag for "advanced control head" or something like that. This will allow you to change the control head to whatever you want when it's all done.

-Josh
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Spectra a5 to a9

Post by kc7gr »

Relatively easy, as conversions go. You will need to bit-bang the memory contents to change the control head type byte, and while you're at it you should also (for appearance' sake) change the model number to end in A9 instead of A5.

Once that's done, you should be able to add the A9 head and program for it normally.

If you are ignorant of bit-banging, drop me a private message. I will fill you in further.

FWIW: 'W9' refers to an Astro model code. For analog Spectras, it's always 'A9.'

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”