Motorola UHF/VHF

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sta281
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola HT1250

Motorola UHF/VHF

Post by sta281 »

Hi to everyone, Am a vol firefighter and a paid EMT for NJ. I have a motorola ht1250 in uhf and a motorola saber 2 in vhf> My ? is dose motorola make a UHF and a VHF combo? If so dose anyone know what model? Thanks for any info
txshooter

Re: Motorola UHF/VHF

Post by txshooter »

No Motorola does not, Yaseu used to make one, but I don't believe they make it anymore. The only Dual band portables you may find now are amatuer equipment and thus not type rated for your applications.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

The Vertex/Yaesu FT2070 was the dual-band HT, hasn't been made in years. I used one about 12 years ago and it was 32ch, big, and felt like it could be tossed off of a bridge and still work. Had an ultra cool 4 segment LCD display :lol:

While it would not work for you, Vertex does have a handheld radio that can have a sub-band reciever installed. So you could have a VHF radio thet can also RX on UHF, or a UHF radio that can RX on VHF. Not a true dual-band handheld, but as close as what is available outside the amateur radio community.
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Check out the Vertex VX-60R......its a small decent radio that covers VHF & UHF transmit (after a simple modification)and receives up to 800 mhz.
Again, this is for ham use and probably not type accepted for the commercial bands.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

firetech792 wrote:Check out the Vertex VX-60R...... ........Again, this is for ham use and probably not type accepted for the commercial bands.
Do you mean Yaesu FT-60R, or does Vertex have it's own VX branded version now? It's definately not certified for anything beyond amateur use.

Never take anything like this into a fire...
Terry
libuff

Post by libuff »

firetech792 wrote:Check out the Vertex VX-60R......its a small decent radio that covers VHF & UHF transmit (after a simple modification)and receives up to 800 mhz.
Again, this is for ham use and probably not type accepted for the commercial bands.
i believe he was referring to a VX-6r or VX-7r.. i believe there is also a vx-2, and vx-5, all differing in what bands they cover..

i utilized a VX-7r once, it might have been modififed :)

definately NOT a rig to use in the emergency service. I believe a ham operator modified their VX-7 and mapped wattage output over the span that the radio could do, the power drop off was dramatic off-ham band, so the 140mhz stuff was 5w, 155mhz was nearer to 2 wats, 440mhz was 4 watts, 470, was nearer to 1 watt.
sta281
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola HT1250

Post by sta281 »

Thanks to everyone for the info.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Vertex does make the VX-920 series which have the option to RX only on the opposite band (VHF could RX on UHF with optional module, UHF RX on VHF) but as others have said the only true dual band portable for part 90 (LMR/PS) was the FTH-2070, which Yaesu made for many years (believe it went OOP back in 2001/2002), first showed up in the late 80's. I've seen tons of them on Ebay, various vintages from early production to the later ones actually made by "Vertex Standard". IIRC they don't do narrowband, (for sure the early ones). The later radios made by VS says "Vertex DUO" on the front cover. Believe they have much wider VCO's. I picked one up at a hamfest for 75.00, very clean one at that. It sure is a brick. Old school design. Sure to last as long as my old Sabers and GE MPI-2's...
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”