Base mic Qs

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

M1225
What radios do you own?: VHF M1225, Yaesu FT2800M

Base mic Qs

Post by M1225 »

Got a few questions on the motorola base mic.
1 I have a HMN1088A that I want to wire for a maxtrac. Is it possible?

2 We got a few guys in town here who are interested in hooking theese things up to radios that are not motorolas. One guy has an Icom V8000 and the other guy has a Yaesu FT-1802M. Can this be done?
The BEST money you will EVER spend on a radio system is on the ANTENNA and FEEDLINE!
delta3zulu
New User

Re: Base mic Qs

Post by delta3zulu »

I do not know for sure, but I have heard that /\/\ uses non industry standard inpedences for their microphones to discourage aftermarket accessories. So it might not work.
M1225

Post by M1225 »

Welcome to the forum! I figured out my first question so thats one down anyway. 8)
The BEST money you will EVER spend on a radio system is on the ANTENNA and FEEDLINE!
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I don't have info on that specific mic but most Motorola mics use an electret element and require proper bias on the mic line for the element and/or an internal preamp. They are not a good choice to try to adapt to other radios.
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

I've interfaced an older Micor style Mobile and Desk microphone to my ICOM ham transceiver. They do require a bias voltage on the Motorola microphones which you'll need to determine if your ham transceiver can provide. The Motorola microphones use a 600 Ohm impedence which should work with most VHF and UHF ham transceivers. If you plan to use a Motorola microphone for a H.F. ham transceiver, you will be required to place RF Chokes or Coils within the Desk microphone to prevent the lower frequency RF from getting back into the ham radio transceiver.
M1225

Post by M1225 »

Thanks for all the info! 8)

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”