Systems Saber on a "newer" TRS

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Systems Saber on a "newer" TRS

Post by RESCUE161 »

I was under the assumption that all of the radios on the system in question were Astro Sabers and XTS3000/XTS5000s (All using analog only operation). The other day, I saw a guy that had a Systems Saber that was on the system. Will a CON 7 System Saber work on this system? If not, what was the cut-off version? What was the final CON version for the Systems Saber? Was it 8D?
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: Systems Saber on a "newer" TRS

Post by thebigphish »

newer TRS being what?
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

I think TRS = trunked radio system. GARY N4KVE
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

It's listed on rr.com as "Motorola Type II SmartZone Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface".

Every radio I've seen on this system has been at least digital capable, so I found it strange when I saw the Systems Saber.
Scott
KE4FHH
libuff

Post by libuff »

RESCUE161 wrote:Every radio I've seen on this system has been at least digital capable, so I found it strange when I saw the Systems Saber.
i operate on a hybrid TRS too... i find that MOST of the radios are analog only MTS-2000 trunking. Newer radios on the system are XTS-2500 (Analog only)... only the special groups have P25..
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

N4KVE wrote:I think TRS = trunked radio system. GARY N4KVE

thanks, i got that. was hoping to find out what system he was referring to.

didn't take the time to feed his loc. thru rr.com
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Unless something has changed, he ain't at his location listed here. In fact it's entirely possible it's a .Mil TRS he's talking about 8)
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

Sorry guys. Yep, I'm in Camp Lejeune now. I did call today to ask if they would put some Systems Sabers on the TRS for us and they said yes. I am going to take him 6 and hopefully they'll all work. I have a couple with CON 6 and the rest have CON 7. I hope CON 6 will work.

If someone can let me know if CON 6 will work or not, that would be greatly appreciated.
Scott
KE4FHH
RKG

Post by RKG »

If this is an 800 MHz trunked system, then before spending any money, I'd pursue with the System Administrator how they propose to handle rebanding. I would be surprised if a Systems Saber will handle rebanding.

If you're talking about a UHF or VHF system, disregard my comment.
NCSHP311
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber, XTS', APX's

Post by NCSHP311 »

DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

RESCUE161 wrote: What was the final CON version for the Systems Saber? Was it 8D?
Scott, you are confusing System Sabers with Sabers. Con 7 was the final System Saber firmware, 8D was the last (and more rare) Saber firmware.
Dave
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

DJP126 wrote:
RESCUE161 wrote: What was the final CON version for the Systems Saber? Was it 8D?
Scott, you are confusing System Sabers with Sabers. Con 7 was the final System Saber firmware, 8D was the last (and more rare) Saber firmware.
Awesome, thanks!

It's a UHF system and the System Admin is the one I talked to today. Guess I'll make sure that I send the CON 7 radios to be programmed.
Scott
KE4FHH
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

If the system in question is anything up to 4.1 Smartzone and the talkgroups are analog (and he only needs one site in a multi-site system), I don't see why any UHF System Saber wouldn't work. Didn't they all do trunking? I've had 'em as old as CON 4.0, and they had trunking capability.

The only thing the XTSes and Astro Sabers will get you that the System Sabers won't is narrowband operation. If your system goes to 2.5 kHz deviation, you're SOL on using System Sabers.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Not necessarily, you can turn down your TX deviation to 2.5kc settings and the radio willwork. Not perfectly, but I suspect you will have more problems with receiving, as from the low repeater deviation. You will have to turn your radio volume up.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

That trick might work on a conventional system but you will never decode the data channel or the low speed data on a trunking system if you need a narrowband radio and all you have is a System Saber

Chris
N9LLO

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”