DIN Size VHF mobile

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Batman
What radios do you own?: JT1000, Spectras, CB-555, 540

DIN Size VHF mobile

Post by Batman »

I'm looking for a DIN size VHF mobile. min. & prefered 25 watts, min. 16ch, scan, ignition sense wire, Prefer FFP, must be commercial lmr radio. prefer something that can be found on the used market.

I'm also looking for a 40ch CB mobile with ignition sense, and DIN Size.

Let me know what make/models i should look at.

I'm putting this into a nissan 240sx hatchback. not alot of options for mounting.

Eventually i want to have a CB, trunking Scanner, and VHF mobile in the car.
Thank You,

Robert
boomboy64
What radios do you own?: XTS3000, Astro Saber III

Re: DIN Size VHF mobile

Post by boomboy64 »

Batman wrote:...Prefer FPP, must be commercial lmr radio...
Aren't those two mutually contradictory? (not a slag, just a question...)
Boomboy64
Alexandria, VA (ex-Winnipeg, Manitoba)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

boomboy64 wrote:
Nope. The Kenwood TK-x180 radios support FPP in the Tactical Zone as part of the Tactical Feature Set (which includes several other badass options). You won't likely find a TFS-equipped radio on the used market (too new), but they aren't terribly pricey brand new ($600 or so). The 7180 is smaller than DIN size... you'll have to figure out an adapter plate/mounting. If depth is an issue, you can remote mount.

Personally, I'd go with a TK-7180HK and a Uniden BCD996T (already DIN size) in the dash, then look at one of the Cobra HHCH CBs for your children's band radio.
Wicho
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Realistic Space Command

Post by Wicho »

Hmmm...

You've sparked my interest in the 8180. I've had one in my car with a remote head for a bit over two years. I'll have to look into the programming. Do you know if the tactical feature set is something that can be flashed/upgraded in the radio, or do I need to buy a new one, and what does it include?

Great radio BTW, just be sure to use an external speaker.
tvsjr wrote:
boomboy64 wrote:
Nope. The Kenwood TK-x180 radios support FPP in the Tactical Zone as part of the Tactical Feature Set (which includes several other badass options). You won't likely find a TFS-equipped radio on the used market (too new), but they aren't terribly pricey brand new ($600 or so). The 7180 is smaller than DIN size... you'll have to figure out an adapter plate/mounting. If depth is an issue, you can remote mount.

Personally, I'd go with a TK-7180HK and a Uniden BCD996T (already DIN size) in the dash, then look at one of the Cobra HHCH CBs for your children's band radio.
Vote for Pedro.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The internal thing isn't a speaker... it's a piece of plastic that makes noise. External speaker is a definite... the 40-watt external speaker with the high-audio option is recommended for noisy environments.

Unfortunately, Kenwood doesn't have price sheets with TFS up on their dealer site for whatever reason. The TFS configuration guide states that the radio must have firmware >= 1.14 and have the software upgraded for TFS. I believe it can be added afterward, but you might call Mother K and ask them.

And, by the way, TFS allows more programming options than Q52, and allows the creation of a custom zone with whatever channels you'd like. Think of it this way - pull up to a multijurisdictional incident and quickly build a zone with your state interop, county fireground, air-to-ground, maybe PD/SO, etc., with a few keystrokes. And, end up with a custom scan list for your custom zone. Big pimpin.
Wicho
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Realistic Space Command

Post by Wicho »

Thanks for the info.

Hmmm...now if only the 8180 did IMBE... 8)
Vote for Pedro.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Wicho wrote:Thanks for the info.

Hmmm...now if only the 8180 did IMBE... 8)
I would love to see a lower-cost P25 mobile built around the x180. The x90 style P25 mobiles are damn nice, but I think you could make an x180 P25 clone a bit cheaper. And the x180 has all the features most people need.

If memory serves, TFS is available on Kenwood's P25 radios.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

FWIW, there is a DIN mounting sleeve for the CDM mobiles. However, it only recesses the slimmer body of the radio chasis. The larger control head portion remains forward of the mounting surface.
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”