MTS programming problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nh7cy
What radios do you own?: one of each

MTS programming problem

Post by nh7cy »

A year or two back I picked up a UHF MTS off of Ebay. Seller stated that it "works great" and yaddi yadda. When I got the radio, it turned on, the knobs worked, it looked okay. But it wouldn't program.

The radio will go into test mode (I'll update with the firmware version when I get home but it is newer post-toolproofing 6.XX). IT has one channel, programmed with "Blank" for an alpha tag, which transmits on some unknown frequency and probably receives fine which I'm assuming eliminates the possibility that this radio was zapped by some system admin.

The seller wouldn't take the radio back and wasn't able to supply me with a backup codeplug either.

So here's the actual problem. Tried to program the radio with RSS and got a codeplug too new error. Tried to program it with CPS, still got the same error. Sent it to a radio shop, the tech there said whoever owned it previously had programmed it wrong and that the radio was unprogrammable. Keep in mind, the radio hasn't been tool-proofed because it still turns on and transmits.

Any help here, I have the feeling I'm stuck with a nice paperweight.

Jason B
Operating VHF AM mobile - On the air, In the air.
dxon2m

Re: MTS programming problem

Post by dxon2m »

Have you tried the latest CPS to read the radio? I'm hoping that it's just someone put in some default frequencies and a alpha tag " BLANK" in the deprogramming process.
nh7cy

Post by nh7cy »

It was read with the latest cps when taken into the radio shop. The tech stated that whoever last programmed the radio had screwed up the programming.
Jason B
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

I have the latest CPS, if you want to send it to me and cover the cost of return shipping, will be glad to take a look at it for you.

Regards,

Erik
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Verify what the shop has for the "latest version". Most have 2.00.01, not realizing there's a later 2.02.00.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Yes, defiantly sounds like they were not using the latest CPS to me. I would also consider sending my radio to MTS2000DES if you had to. I've sent my MTS to him when my Computer went down and I was unable to program for a few weeks. My radio came back 100% better then when I sent it to him. Erik is first class with fixing / programming the MTS radios.

Just thought I'd throw my .02 cents in here :)

Good luck on getting your radio fixed, and keep us up to date on what the problem is, and if you fixed it or not.
Last edited by MT2000 man on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
akardam

Post by akardam »

wavetar wrote:Verify what the shop has for the "latest version". Most have 2.00.01, not realizing there's a later 2.02.00.
Seconded. You still in the bay area? Couple people I can think of who could help you out.
nh7cy

Post by nh7cy »

Yep, still in the Bay Area just in a different part of it. The radio was actually with someone else when it was taken to the radio shop. What I wrote here is the story I got. Got the radio back from him awhile back and it's been sitting on my desk. Not entirely worried if I can get it working or not because I didn't spend much on it, just figured it would be nice to have it working again.

I also have a recent development. It's much worse now. Long story short I was tinkering with the dark matter software (big mistake) and my laptop died while loading the s-record back into the radio. Now it makes Star wars noises when it turns on and won't read or write at all. Green light comes on, and every now and then it'll turn off, the radio will make some alien sounding chirp, and strange characters will show up on the display. I keep getting a NaCK error while trying to reload the s-rec. I'm guessing paperweight.
Jason B
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

Deffinate possibility but just for giggles check the EPROM and make sure that is ok. I can't say I've ever seen the Nack errors but then again I can't say I haven't, and just didn't replace the controller off the bat. If worse comes to worse check the upclock and the 2.1Mhz clock if they are off or you have a 2.4 instead of 2.1 it's brick or depot bound.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”