Mitrek Control Head, help needed.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dca37
New User

Mitrek Control Head, help needed.

Post by dca37 »

I recently came into posession of a Motorola Mitrek radio. I would like to bench test it, then install it into my car. It is HUGE and old and dusty, but you can't beat free! I was told it is a 100 watt radio and could not be reprogramed (which i don't need, as it came out of one of our old rigs) [unless i purchased a new crystal(very expensive)]

It came with the cable, speaker, and 2 knob control head.

Like so:

I started to put it together. I attached all the numbered wires from the cable to the control head. (1-16ish)

Curiously, on the control head there are 30ish sockets for pins, and on this Head two sets of pins are jumpered together (I forget exactly which ones, somewhere in the high 20's) Hmm....

The speaker has a male 9 pin connector with 6 wires and six pins. There is nowhere to connect the speaker to, as far as i can see.

What pieces am I missing to connect the speaker, mic, and to test the radio?

Does anyone know what the pinouts are for this control head? Or what it is called?

Any advice, ideas, things to be careful about, with this radio?

I have seen alot of talk about using it as a repeater. I'm not interested in that, at least not now. Now i need a mobile in my car.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Wes

Re: Mitrek Control Head, help needed.

Post by Wes »

The mic and speaker will plug directly ito the back of the control head. The mic has a square or rectangular shaped molded plastic connector that will push in to the back of the control head. It has 5 pins or so. The speaker has 2 wires with the same pins like the control cable has and plugs into the row of pins on the back of the control head along with the control cable. Based on the description of the speaker you have, it sounds like you do not have the correct speaker for the Mitrek. It sounds like you have an amplified speaker of some sorts.

My $.02

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
dca37
New User

Post by dca37 »

There is a seperate connection area for the mic.

Does anyone know which pins are for the speakers?
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

Speaker audio is on pins 31 & 32. Also, a word of caution, neither one is ground.

L.E.
dca37
New User

Post by dca37 »

Check this out:
I went back to the place i got the mobile from, and i mentioned i couldn't transmit without a microphone. So he dug up this and gave it to me.

Old School!! I definitely want this in my car!

Now I figure it is a privacy handset for the radio, to tx and rx from so the prisoner won't hear. The handset has a ptt button in the arm(between the ear and mic), and it still works. (I took it apart and you can SEE it connecting)

On the front it has the cradle with hang up switch (white line in picture 1), and a switch on top to ?rout the audio to the speaker?.

On the back it has four things. A stamped part number, which google didn't say anything about, a speaker out( I assume) and a cable with 6 wires coming out. It also has what appears to be a home-made mic port, where the phone actually connects to.

Help! I know a can hook up the mic directly to the volume control (it is the same connector), but i'd like to use the hang up box if possible. Does it connect to 25-29, maybe?

Does anyone have any clue about this? A manual or pinout would be fantastic! I assume it did not come like this, and was modified, but i don't think it was too heavily changed, and i hope i can get it working again!
dca37
New User

Post by dca37 »

anybody with a manual?
jehiatt
New User

Post by jehiatt »

wd 40 all old connectors
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
You definitely need a manual.
Would help if you mentioned the model number.
A few points to keep in mind about your Mitrek.
The speaker leads MUST NOT be grounded.
The microphone ground is also tied to the PL HUB, (Hang UP Box).
If this gets grounded you will have an alternator whine on transmit.
The radio housing is floating, allowing positive ground operation. The housing must be grounded to the chassis of the vehicle, or you can pick up all sorts of interesting noise.

Keep in mind that you need authorization from the licensee to use the transmitter.

There is no end to the various kludges that us techs come up with. The "cup" in the picture can be optioned up in many ways, as far as switching the speaker, muting audio, etc.
Aloha, Bernie

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”