How to interface Mocom control head w/modern radio?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Furious440

How to interface Mocom control head w/modern radio?

Post by Furious440 »

Hello everyone,

In attempt to complete a classic squad car restoration I am looking for information on how one could interface a typical Mocom 70 control head, speaker and mic to a modern radio like a GM300? Finding a working or repairable UHF Mocom 70 has been next to impossible for us.
I have heard of this being done. I am only and installer and not a radio tech so I thought I would ask the experts here.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Re: How to interface Mocom control head w/modern radio?

Post by kf4sqb »

You should be able to interface to a GM300, or similar radio, through the accessory connector on the back of the radio and do everything you want to do, provided you have the expanded logic board with the 16-pin accessory connector. Speaker audio, mic audio, PTT, and channel steering are all available in the accessory connector, with the proper programming, although I personally have no idea how to set up the channel steering. I just know its possible. Here's the pinout of the GM300/M120 accessory connector: (Batlabs link), and here's the pinout of the Maxtrac/Radius accessory connector (not much difference): (Batlabs link).

All of the "programmable I/O" pins can be set for different options via the RSS, and are where you can set up "channel steering". Once again, I don't know exactly how to make this work, just that it can be done. I'm also not sure if you can actually control the volume with such a setup, but you should, at the least, be able to change channels, key up, talk, and listen.

Best of luck, and don't forget to post pics of the finished product!
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

I hooked up the old radio as it was originally installed in the unit. Hooking up pins 19 and 20 to 12v would get the green and the red PTT lights to work on the Mocom control head. A current model radio could be hidden under the seat or dash and a external speaker could be used for the "radio sound effect"
Might be easier than trying to interphase the old and new one.

Fowler
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

That is what we did for a show car, they wanted a Motrac to look like it worked. We mounted a maxtrac in the glove box, used a motrac external speaker used an mic extentsion cable that terminated through the motrac mic connector used the amp conncetor as the cover with a heavy duty mic. and wired the lights on the motrac to light up when the car was on. We even mounted a dummy motrac chassis in the trunk . Unless you opened the glove box no one was the wiser.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

another good bet is the maratrac
Furious440

Post by Furious440 »

Thank you to everyone for all the advice.
I am going to review the accessory connector schematics for the GM300 and the schematics for the Mocom 70 control head.
I already have a NOS Mocom control head, speaker, mic, hang up box, harness and fuses. It's finding a good radio that seems to be a pain.
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

You could also try looking for a Motrac or Motran.. I actually have a working loband Motrac sitting here, with a Mocom-70 head on it.

If you use a Maxtrac, you could probably wire a small relay to take the PTT from the mic, and use it to key the radio, and the transmit light.
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”