Service for XTS3000 in Northern New Jersey?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W2WP
New User
What radios do you own?: /\/\otorola XTS3000

Service for XTS3000 in Northern New Jersey?

Post by W2WP »

Anyone have any info on who would be able to just to a quick checkup/alignment on my XTS3000 III (UHFL) in Northern New Jersey?
Thanks in advance for ANY info!
Mark / W2WP
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Service for XTS3000 in Northern New Jersey?

Post by DJP126 »

Dave
W2WP
New User
What radios do you own?: /\/\otorola XTS3000

Post by W2WP »

Yeah sure did. I called 3 of the 5 listed for NJ and they acted as if I had 3 heads! :)
I pretty much got the same answer from them that they don't do single radios of Amateur nature. One told me that "the tech wouldn't work on the radio because it is not in the commercial bands". I said yes it is. The xts3000 covers from 407-470MHz and the frequncies I use happen to fall in that range. She really had no idea what I was talking about. Took my number but I'm not really expecting a call back.
/\/\ark
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I see this same problem all over with 'service' shops also.
The moment you mention ham radio, they act as if you are a bastard child that needs punishing, or directly assault you with how 'bad' ham radio is for commercial radio.

Too bad not a single commercial segment has done .0000001% of the gratis work that hams have done, but mention ham radio and commercial radio in the same sentence, and you get scorned faces as a response!

Most commercial operators feel hams have somehow 'stolen' a majority of the band we use from commercial service, but if they got their heads out from their a$$, they would realize WE really were here first, and we actually pioneered what they now take for granted.

Not to mention the big shops don't make big $$ catering to joe ham like they do for the contract services.

I fall into that same category, but even my shop has that very same mentality...hams are idiots, only commercial folks are 'real radio guys'.

That is a huge joke in its own right, but why spoil some dimwit's fun, right?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Ernest,

I know a fair number of hams who have the same view of the
commercial radio market/area/equipment. "Don't show me that
Motorola stuff; it's too complicated/expensive/etc. etc." I think
they're just as dopey as the service shop people you describe,
so it goes both ways, unfortunately.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Tom:

I agree with you 100 % on that!

Ignorance is NOT bliss, no matter how the 'romantics' write it, it's still ignorance and needs to be abolished once and for all.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

If you want a MSS to do a full checkup on it, try Metrocom out of NY. They service the NYC DOIT system and basically everyone in the Hudson Valley in NY who uses Moto.

Some of their office people are a little dopey, but the service guys know what they are doing. You just need to dig a little deeper on the phone with them to to the right service guy. I think they have a general flat rate of $75 a radio.

Just don't mention ham. Just tell them you want it PM'd and be done with it.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
BLOCKHEAD
What radios do you own?: MTS2000, Astro Saber

Post by BLOCKHEAD »

+1 on Metrocomm...I dealt with them when we were replacing batteries and stuff on my job, and they actually have a few hams working for them in Bedford Hills. I know of one personally, but as PJ said, just say you need the radio aligned and be done with it.
MTS2000 MTX838 GP350 GP300
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

BLOCKHEAD wrote:+1 on Metrocomm...I dealt with them when we were replacing batteries and stuff on my job, and they actually have a few hams working for them in Bedford Hills. I know of one personally, but as PJ said, just say you need the radio aligned and be done with it.
Heh..what salesman did you deal with?

I remember educating one about ASTRO stuff at lunch one day...as he was completely clueless to a point. He offered me a part time sales job after that.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”