Saber error tone

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DPL

Saber error tone

Post by DPL »

I have a Saber II (UHF 440-470) that, upon pressing the PTT switch, produces a rapid "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" continuously until the button is released. The transmit light never illuminates, and the beeping starts about 1 second or so after the button is pressed. Since I do not have a service manual, can someone tell me what this error tone means? It is not an out of band issue, no error codes are displayed, and no, the channels are not set to receive only. Also, the radio seems to receive fine.

Thanks.
Einstein

Re: Saber error tone

Post by Einstein »

DPL wrote:I have a Saber II (UHF 440-470) that, upon pressing the PTT switch, produces a rapid "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" continuously until the button is released. The transmit light never illuminates, and the beeping starts about 1 second or so after the button is pressed. Since I do not have a service manual, can someone tell me what this error tone means? It is not an out of band issue, no error codes are displayed, and no, the channels are not set to receive only. Also, the radio seems to receive fine.

Thanks.
Are the tones low,medium, or high pitched. Good battery pack?
DPL

Post by DPL »

I believe that they are medium pitch; since I have so little experience with sabers I'm not 100% certain. The battery pack is good (works on other radios). I tried moving the low battery threshold in the alignment section all the way around with no change in behavior.
Einstein

Post by Einstein »

DPL wrote:I believe that they are medium pitch; since I have so little experience with sabers I'm not 100% certain. The battery pack is good (works on other radios). I tried moving the low battery threshold in the alignment section all the way around with no change in behavior.
From the alert tones, it does not seem to apply to your radio symptons of no transmit. I would re-check the programming and also the VCO lock even though it seems to receive.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

I could be mistaken, but I believe if you have it set to transmit encrypted (if its encryption-capable), but don't have a key loaded, you get a "no-no tone" like you're describing.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Einstein

Post by Einstein »

kf4sqb wrote:I could be mistaken, but I believe if you have it set to transmit encrypted (if its encryption-capable), but don't have a key loaded, you get a "no-no tone" like you're describing.
I am assuming that the model II has a display. If so the radio would also display key fail along with the tones and the transmit light not indicating transmit. That's a good point, I thought of that in the back of my mind also.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Einstein wrote:I am assuming that the model II has a display. If so the radio would also display key fail along with the tones and the transmit light not indicating transmit. That's a good point, I thought of that in the back of my mind also.
The Saber II does have a display, but I have no idea if the Saber series displays a "key fail" message under these circumstances or not. My limited experience with secure-equipped Sabers is limited to Saber I's. I've got a pair of secure-capable Systems Saber III's, one V and one U, but have dummy modules in both and have never played with the secure settings.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Einstein

Post by Einstein »

kf4sqb wrote:
Einstein wrote:I am assuming that the model II has a display. If so the radio would also display key fail along with the tones and the transmit light not indicating transmit. That's a good point, I thought of that in the back of my mind also.
The Saber II does have a display, but I have no idea if the Saber series displays a "key fail" message under these circumstances or not. My limited experience with secure-equipped Sabers is limited to Saber I's. I've got a pair of secure-capable Systems Saber III's, one V and one U, but have dummy modules in both and have never played with the secure settings.
Yes, not having played with my model III in so long I had to dig it out and check. I deleted the key from the radio then keyed the radio. Error tones, no transmit indicator, and key fail in the display.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Ditto, turn the secure switch off and re-try.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”