XTVA microphone compatability

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W4KRR
What radios do you own?: XTS3000's; XTS2500's; many sca

XTVA microphone compatability

Post by W4KRR »

I have the Motorola NTN1606E XTVA holder. The recommended palm microphone is HMN4069E. I was wondering if the "compact" palm mic, part number HMN1056D would work with this (I already have this one).

Also, is there any way to secure the XTVA to a flat surface without using the mounting trunnion? (i.e., holes through it)

Thanks.
Ken, W4KRR
W4KRR

Re: XTVA microphone compatability

Post by W4KRR »

I finally received my XTVA, and I can now answer the question I originally asked.

Yes, the Motorola compact palm mic, part number HMN1056D, does work with the XTVA. In fact, the amplified speaker sold with the MTVA (HT/JT1000) will also work with the XTVA. And no, there's no holes going through the XTVA like the MTVA has, so you can't mount it without the mounting trunnion, unless you were to use something like peel and stick Velcro, or a homemade mounting bracket.
Ken, W4KRR
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

This probably doesn't apply to your intended application, but there is one more way to mount an XTVA. If you have a Troy console, you can use FP-NTN8560E to mount an XTVA inside it, no trunnion required.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
W4KRR

Post by W4KRR »

resqguy911 wrote:This probably doesn't apply to your intended application, but there is one more way to mount an XTVA. If you have a Troy console, you can use FP-NTN8560E to mount an XTVA inside it, no trunnion required.
Yeah, but I do have a Havis-Shield console, and the XTVA is mounted on the side of it using a homemade bracket. There's no room inside the console to mount anything else.
Ken, W4KRR
DC615
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R M3, XTVA w/HHCH

Post by DC615 »

Here is two cents on mounting an XTVA to a flat surface:

I have my XTVA mounted flush on an odd shaped bracket mounted on the side of my center factory console in my Ford Expedition. I had this bracket made at a fabrication shop, which cut and shaped my custom-made bracket on a plasma table. The XTVA when mounted on the original trunnion hit my leg when I was seated, but flush against the console did not. I did not want holes in my console. The factory-machined, screws that hold the XTVA together are practically impossible to get in any other length for flush mounting to anything; they are only long enough to hold it together. I went to several specialty nut/bolt/screw shops in Nashville, TN with no luck. I finally disassembled the XTVA, and removed the machine screw lugs that have “wood” screw type threads on the other side that actually mount the lugs to the case, in which hold the entire unit together. I then got the right sized screws with that wood screw type pattern long enough to mount to a flat metal plate, marked the screw position pattern on the plate I had made, and then drilled holes in the plate. I then held the unit together carefully without screws, held the unit up to the side of the plate, and assembled the unit to the plate with the wood screws.

The bracket mounts under the console to two factory bolts, almost in the very center of the floorboard. It then angles up and over the air ducts that run under the carpet so that they did not get smashed, angles to the left, and then an angle strait up beside the console where the XTVA is mounted. This may sound rigged, but I have had zero problems with this and it looks clean. I even went to an upholstery shop to get matching vinyl to cover the bracket in, and even made a loom out of the vinyl as well to cover the co-ax and wires. It looks like the XTVA is hovering on the side of the console unless you look hard to see the custom mounting bracket. This took a few quiet shifts at the firehouse and major patients to design/install. I installed this almost a year ago, and have had no problems yet.

I had actually cut my idea for a mounting bracket out of a cardboard box, used tape to hold the angles together, and took it to a welding shop. When I got to the welding shop, I told the folks there that I wanted this design made with strong metal, but with the thickness of a standard cardboard box. After it was all said and done, it looked like it came from the factory.

Here are tips if you ever try this.
1) Be VERY careful if you ever disassemble your XTVA in respect to being gentle, and properly assembled parts.
2) Proper torque must be used to tighten the screws when you are mounting it to a flat surface, or else the portable will not eject properly.

In the next few weeks, I have to get into the console to mount another radio, so I will try to make a few pictures and make a posting for the installation forum.

Nevertheless, good luck with whatever you do. Just be creative, and make it look clean.
DC615
W4KRR

Post by W4KRR »

Sounds good, DC!

While we're speaking about screws, do you (or anyone else) know what the proper screw size is for the two bracket mounting holes on the side of the XTVA are? I ended up using 10-32 by 5/8 inch long, but they seem a bit loose, are they metric threads? The 10-32 was the only suitable size I found that fit at all.
Ken, W4KRR

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”