mt2000 questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

t2k
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1000 (4), MT2000 (1)

mt2000 questions

Post by t2k »

I just bought my first mt2000 and am still searching for a user manual. It is currently configured with 48 channels. (I hope to do something about that soon it is an H01KDD9AA4AN) I probably have the lab software but right now I don't care about extending it further as I'm still populating all the channels and the truth be told I may never need more than 48 for my uses.

Meanwhile, I was setting up the scan lists today and realized it seems there are only 15 slots in a scan list? I was hoping to place all 16 channels (per bank) in one scan list.

I'm also curious about how the scanning works. If I set up (3) scan lists will it automagically scan each list when scan is enabled via one of the controls (I've been using the 2-position concentric for scan enable/disable)

I promise to RTFM when I get one.

(I did search alot, believe me, I had about 20 other questions but those were answered by reading the knowledge shared by many folks here in earlier years.. but I can't seem to find the answers to these by using the search engine)

Thank You
(4) HT1000s w/dtmf (vhf), (1) MT2000 (vhf) and counting.
fineshot1

Re: mt2000 questions

Post by fineshot1 »

Each channel personality has a parameter for a scan list number.

If you have channel 1 selected and activate the scan function the scan list number
for channel 1 will be the scan list used. Same for each channel programed.
fineshot1
NJ USA
rescuer
What radios do you own?: APX7000, XPR7550, PR400

Post by rescuer »

Congratulations on the MT2000. I have had one for years and think it is a great radio. It's actually more powerful than some of the newer radios being produced today.

I am by know means an expert but here is what I have found through trial and error over the years. I have the 160 channel version so the 48 channel may be slightly different.

There are only 15 channels available for SCAN, however you can set the priority channel as 'Selected' and it will be included in the scan list as well.

I believe the scan lists are slaved to a channel. So that Channels 1-20 may use scan list 1, 21-30 may use scan list 2, and 31-48 may use scan list 3. It doesn't have to be in any particular order. I know you can have 8 different scan lists and I think you can have up to 15.

It would be nice if you could scan more than 16 channels to use it as a scanner, however I have found that the multiple scan lists are more than adequate for normal 'working' use. From what I've discovered on most Motorola radios, more than 15 channels in a scan list you'll miss the first part of a conversation.

Another idea for you: although the MT2000 and HT1000 (which you say you have 4 of), are the same series of radios, the buttons and switches can do different things. It's real handy if you make all the switches, and buttons for everyday functions the same as well as the first 16 channels. You'll really get confused trying to remember which button places which radio on scan, drops PL, nuisance delete, etc. if you have them programmed differently.
t2k
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1000 (4), MT2000 (1)

Post by t2k »

rescuer wrote:Congratulations on the MT2000. I have had one for years and think it is a great radio. It's actually more powerful than some of the newer radios being produced today.
Thank You! I am going to be collecting a few I hope. I really love the Jedi durability, I like the ability to share batteries and antennas (and maybe some day cases, and buttons and knobs, when I get to the point where I am disassembling them.
I am by know means an expert but here is what I have found through trial and error over the years. I have the 160 channel version so the 48 channel may be slightly different.

There are only 15 channels available for SCAN, however you can set the priority channel as 'Selected' and it will be included in the scan list as well.

I believe the scan lists are slaved to a channel. So that Channels 1-20 may use scan list 1, 21-30 may use scan list 2, and 31-48 may use scan list 3. It doesn't have to be in any particular order. I know you can have 8 different scan lists and I think you can have up to 15.

It would be nice if you could scan more than 16 channels to use it as a scanner, however I have found that the multiple scan lists are more than adequate for normal 'working' use. From what I've discovered on most Motorola radios, more than 15 channels in a scan list you'll miss the first part of a conversation.
Thanks, good information. I got the mtsx RSS manual last night and between the information here and by re-reading the manual I should be able to figure out alot. Right now I have at last 15 channels being scanned (in list 1) but haven't quite figured out if it's possible to scan more at the same time. I'm using the MT2000 mainly to scan local 2M simplex and repeaters at the moment and I live in a less busy area than most so it's feasible to add more. I can see not wanting to scan more than a couple frequencies in a busy area though.
Another idea for you: although the MT2000 and HT1000 (which you say you have 4 of), are the same series of radios, the buttons and switches can do different things. It's real handy if you make all the switches, and buttons for everyday functions the same as well as the first 16 channels. You'll really get confused trying to remember which button places which radio on scan, drops PL, nuisance delete, etc. if you have them programmed differently.
Well I think that makes sense too. I have partially begun this in that the first 14 channels are the same. I haven't decided which button or switch to use for low power yet. I used the 3-position switch on top to set low power on the HT1000s but right now I have that switching zones on the MT2000.

Thank you both for answering this, I am learning more.
(4) HT1000s w/dtmf (vhf), (1) MT2000 (vhf) and counting.
Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Post by Tony.RI »

t2k wrote:
Well I think that makes sense too. I have partially begun this in that the first 14 channels are the same. I haven't decided which button or switch to use for low power yet. I used the 3-position switch on top to set low power on the HT1000s but right now I have that switching zones on the MT2000.

Thank you both for answering this, I am learning more.
It can get confusing. I try to set-up my radios the same. ABC is Scan On/Scan Off/Scan Prgm. ∅/O is Tx inhibit. Green button is Select, second is the backlight, and the third is Monitor. Everything else I have setup on the menu, (A7.)
Last edited by Tony.RI on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Yes, congrats on the MT2000, arguably one of the best portables Motorola has made (along with the MTS2000, HT1000, etc.). I find that most people have thier radios programmed relatively the same. I have mine setup as follows:

A- Normal (scan off)
B- Scan
C- Program scan

Centric switch 0 - Simplex, ∅ - Repeater
Orange man down button - blank
Green side button - lamp/flip display (for the A4 models)
second side button- monitor
third side button- nuisance channel delete

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”