Iden r750 Questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Iden r750 Questions

Post by unlisted »

Well, I'm not totally sure if this belongs in this subforum, so if its better suited somewhere else, could a mod move it for me?

I'm looking for information on iden r750 "radios" I just purchased two off a board member and was wondering if I could use them for anything more than interesting paperweights.

I've heard mention a few times (but never confirmed) these can me made to do simplex.. among.. cough, (other things,) is any of this true?

Also, wondering what type of software they would use, is it the same as the iden CPS? (NO, I am NOT asking for any software, just asking about what this type of radio uses) Does it use the same type of data connector as all the newer style iden's or something else completely?

Also looking for any general info someone may know on this, all that google is mainly turning up is links on the r750 plus.

Any info is greatly appreciated. If you need to PM something due to not wanting to post it on the forums, go right ahead.
-unlisted
PsyberEMT
What radios do you own?: APX/XPR/SL/Hytera/Globalstar

Re: Iden r750 Questions

Post by PsyberEMT »

The r750 is an iDen only unit, they lack the ability to do any kind of simplex. They program with the iden version of RSS, tho it's windows, not DOS based. There are 5 levels of RSS for iden units, Agent, Super Agent, Carrier, Depot and L@b. To my knowledge, all r750's are r750 plus units. Plus simply means that the unit is data (browser) capable and cross fleet enabled. There are 2 versions of the r750's, FM and non-FM. If the units you have include red buttons on the top instead of black, they are "AFUs" (Advanced Feature Units). AFUs include special features not found in "regular" r750s including ISO (isolated site opreation, meaning when a cell loses contact with the system, the radios will then use the individual cell as a repeater and be able to continue talkgroup calls on that cell as if it were simply a trunked radio repeater), 1W or 600mW operation, emergency talkgroup function (carrier support required), talkgroup scan (carrier support required), and much more. The r750 was one of the best iden units ever built. They were temporarily replaced by the i325is, then the i365is, now the r765 "armadillo" is the newest replacement, and includes some really nice features. The r750s are now worth their weight in gold to those who absolutely HAVE to have them, FD, PD, EMS, etc. I still keep one around for when I get called out for long-term operations (ice storms, any EMA call outs, anytime I know the weather is simply gonna suck) because you just can't beat them, and with the 1W operation enabled in the RSS and the MUCH better fixed antenna, the reception is amazing compared to other iden units. They aren't pretty, and the features are pretty bland, but for making and receiving calls and direct connect, you simply can't beat 'em with a stick!
"Never do anything you wouldn't want to have to explain to the paramedics!" --- Anonymous
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

PsyberEMT wrote:..now the r765 "armadillo" is the newest replacement, and includes some really nice features.

Uhm.. YES? It looks like a freaking Thales Liberty! And it has dual SIM slots and some of the published articles hint at dual-band 800/900 operation.

But back to the r750.. you know for a fact that the "+" model does do DC cross-fleet? I was holding off on getting one because I was under the impression that none of them were cross-fleet capable. Well, that and the fact that they're IMEI-based and getting SprintDumbTel to do anything with an IMEI phone these days is like pulling teeth.
PsyberEMT
What radios do you own?: APX/XPR/SL/Hytera/Globalstar

Post by PsyberEMT »

Yes, any "plus" series phone can crossfleet with no problems. If you have issues with the morons in 'regular' support activating an IMEI based device, call 800-927-2199, that's iDen premiere care. They'll help any customer that calls, premiere or not, and they're awesome.
"Never do anything you wouldn't want to have to explain to the paramedics!" --- Anonymous

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”