Xts5000 tx-audio help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

4-crime
What radios do you own?: APX6000, APX7000, APX8000

Xts5000 tx-audio help

Post by 4-crime »

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help. when My xts5000 UHF conventional transmits it sounds almost like an echo on the recieving radio. Is there any way to change this?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Xts5000 tx-audio help

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The answer, in a single word, is no.
The echo is a result of the digital processing that all audio,
be it digital or analog, goes through in the XTS.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
4-crime
What radios do you own?: APX6000, APX7000, APX8000

Post by 4-crime »

Ohh well that stinks. I mean it doesn't sound horrible but its just kinda weird. I wish there was something i could do.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

"Excellent audio quality from the superior DSP"

:lol:
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

4-crime wrote:Hi, I was wondering if someone could help. when My xts5000 UHF conventional transmits it sounds almost like an echo on the recieving radio. Is there any way to change this?
Not sure if this is what your talking about, but are you standing in the same room as the receiving radio TXing in Digital? If so, that is your problem. Leave the room and the echo will go away.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

The first time I heard this was in the early '90's. A friend showed me 2 "new" Astro Sabers. They were talking to each other in analog simplex & they both had that slight echo. That's just the way these digital radios sound in analog. GARY N4KVE
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Listen to P25 on another astro radio - nice echo. Now turn on encryption and the echo is slightly longer - probably due to the extra clock cycles used when encrypting the signal.

Phun with Astros 8)
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

IIRC, true DSP for analog didn't start until the ASTRO25 portable cames out... Just thinking of a post awhile back about the newer portables that do that. I was pretty sure that the ASTRO Saber and XTS3000/3500 analog didn't go the DSP, but I will search unless someone else knows for sure.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Judging from the delay on simplex analog with an AS3 and XTS3k I would say it does go through DSP.

Judging from the poor audio quality compared to an HT1000 I'd definitely say it goes through DSP

But if it doesn't, I'd be curious to know why the symptoms of DSP processing appear
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

I am fairly sure all rx and tx audio goes through the dsp on all astro radio's.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Yes, xts3k basic service manual
9.2 Analog Mode of Operation
■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

When the radio is receiving, the signal comes from the antenna connector to the RF board, passes through
the RX/TX switch and the receiver front end. The signal is then filtered, amplified, and mixed with
the first local-oscillator signal generated by the voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO).
The resulting intermediate frequency (IF) signal is fed to the IF circuitry, where it is again filtered and amplified.
This amplified signal is passed to the digital back-end IC, where it is mixed with the second local oscillator to
create the second IF at 450 kHz. It is then converted to a digital bit stream and mixed a third time to produce a
baseband signal. This signal is passed to the vocoder board through a current-driven differential output.
On the vocoder board, the digital- signal-processor-support IC digitally filters and discriminates the
signal, and passes it to the digital-signal processor (DSP). The DSP decodes the information in the
signal and identifies the appropriate destination for it. For a voice signal, the DSP will route the
digital voice data to the DSP-support IC for conversion to an analog signal. The DSP-support IC
will then present the signal to the audio power amplifier, which drives the speaker. For signalling
information, the DSP will decode the message and pass it to the microcontrol unit.
When the radio is transmitting, microphone audio is passed from the audio power amplifier
(PA) to the DSP-support IC, where the signal is digitized. The DSP-support IC passes digital
data to the DSP, where pre-emphasis and lowpass (splatter) filtering are done. The DSP returns
this signal to the DSP-support IC, where it is reconverted into an analog signal and scaled for
application to the voltage-controlled oscillator as a modulation signal.
Transmitted signalling information is accepted by the DSP from the microcontrol unit, coded
appropriately, and passed to the DSP-support IC, which handles it the same as a voice signal. Modulation
information is passed to the synthesizer along the modulation line. A modulated carrier is provided
to the RF PA, which transmits the signal under dynamic power control.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

And there you have it. 8)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”