Updated sample of ASTRO/IMBE, SecureNet w/ DES-XL, & Ana

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

OX

Post by OX »

Yuk! And people want to use Digital for WHAT REASON?!? If used properly, it doesn't sound bad. I listened to the RCMP sample and yikes! The dispatcher didn't didn't speak at a constant volume and frankly she was hard to understand without having to repeat herself.

Glad I'm on analog!
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Wow. The Astro sounds a hell of a lot better than anolog or securenet. The only astro system in CT is the State Police and I don't have a radio that recieves them. I hope their system sounds as good as that test does.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Digital Voice

Post by abbylind »

We have an Ericsson IMBE system here and it is also simucasted.
It takes some getting used to to understand the voices. I left the dispatchers on analog so they are more understandable.

Fowler
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

bubbasnest wrote:Yuk! And people want to use Digital for WHAT REASON?!? If used properly, it doesn't sound bad. I listened to the RCMP sample and yikes! The dispatcher didn't didn't speak at a constant volume and frankly she was hard to understand without having to repeat herself.

Glad I'm on analog!
What are you talking about? It's statements like that which gives digital a bad rep. The audio was clear as a bell...I had no trouble understanding what she was saying. She probably wasn't using a headset & her distance was varying from her boom-mic. It sounded no different than any one of a hundred dispatchers I've heard over the years, analog or digital.

Todd
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Pretty neat. Just curious, are you going actaully put up a sample of Fascinator??

Frank
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

bubbasnest wrote:Yuk! And people want to use Digital for WHAT REASON?!? If used properly, it doesn't sound bad. I listened to the RCMP sample and yikes! The dispatcher didn't didn't speak at a constant volume and frankly she was hard to understand without having to repeat herself.

Glad I'm on analog!

I also feel the need to add my 2 cents. (why isn't there a cent sign on this keyboard?)

At any rate, that first digital recording was totally awesome! The digital audio was so crisp and almost distortion free that it puts analog to shame.

The problem is that with the RCMP and my local Police on the 'Downriver Mutual Aid' TRS is that nobody speaks at a constant volume and it makes things sound like crap. The audio can be so poor that it makes analog look good! One thing I've noticed is that some cities on my local system all talk quiet on the radio (requiring the volume be turned up) while other cities on the system talk really loud into their microphones. The odd thing is, after about 2 seconds of talk (after you've turned the volume down on your radio) the audio from the repeater or the transmitting radio softens a bit, requiring you to turn the volume back up- unexplainably.

I also noticed in the RCMP recording that odd squelch tail on the guy radioing that license plate the first time.

-Josh
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Facinator is not something that any self respecting person would admit to having.

There were stories on the old board about people's encounters with facinator, and I personaly would put a 100000 foot pole between myself and the module. Just not something to play with, let alone talking about.

-Alex
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

What is the worst that can happen?

He has most of his radio stuff stolen by the Government now.

Losing a Fascinator module is just another item to add to the list of personal belongings he gets to sue to get back in his possession.

It's all just a bunch of bull.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I'm just simply pointing out that it's something that you just don't want to have in your hands.

There is some stuff in the world that we don't need to know about. Hense why the government has their own stuff. They are extreamly protective of it.

Having it - let alone EXPORTING it - I'd hate to even think about it. I'd be careful.

Mearly a suggestion - There are stories about people getting it that weren't supposed to by accident - and I'm sure that one or two might crop up if you look through the board archives.

[edit]

Here's some basic information from the archive I have of the old board:

http://radio.the161.net/~batlabs/feb_01 ... /1142.html

In my quick browsing through the archive, I didn't find the exact stories - but I recall hearing about them at one point somewhere.

-Alex
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

What is a Facinator?

Mike
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

What is a Facinator?

Mike
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Wow.

I find it hard to believe there isn't at least ONE guy out there with this technology. But, if that guy were me, there'd be NO way in heck I'd ever tell anyone about it.

I wonder if/when the military dumps this for something better, will they leak out...
hycheng

Post by hycheng »

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

You mean they don't make an FRS Radio with Fascinator Encryption? :lol:
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
hycheng

Post by hycheng »

But they will make 3DES cell phones that will probably have a stronger than FAS*NATOR.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”