Fixing cheap battery contacts?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Fixing cheap battery contacts?

Post by Tony.RI »

I know, I know: never use aftermarket batteries.

Excuses admitted, I have an aftermarket Saber battery which holds a good charge and worked perfectly fine for about a year. However the recently developed problem is that the positive contact is now ambulatory. Has anyone ever fixed a moving contact problem, or should I just relegate an otherwise perfect battery to the trash pile?
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Re: Fixing cheap battery contacts?

Post by kf4sqb »

If you can get enough movement to get to the underside of the contact, try putting a small amount of epoxy under it, then press it back in place. Just be careful not to get any epoxy on top of the contact. Try using a rubber band wrapped around the battery, holding down something (like a pencil eraser, piece of wood, piece of plastic, etc...) on top of the contact to hold it down & in place until the epoxy is fully cured, being careful not to glue what ever you are using down to the top of the battery. Good luck, and let us know how you make out!
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

is the contact totally broke off or is it still connected?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Tony.RI

Post by Tony.RI »

The contact is still connected, it is just loose enough to move around when its jostled a little. (Evidenced by the radio constantly reseting when it's set down or moved. If I hold it still than it works fine.)
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

well if you are a cop or fireman and have to trust your life to that radio i'd get a new battery but if you're using it for a hobby then try glueing it
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Tony.RI

Post by Tony.RI »

HLA wrote:well if you are a cop or fireman and have to trust your life to that radio i'd get a new battery but if you're using it for a hobby then try glueing it
Thats what I was thinking. Even if I shouldn't use it for SAR, I'd still like to have it for when walking around the hamfest.

I was thinking of using superglue. Would that be the best option or is it going to melt the case?
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

No, it probably won't melt the case, but it also probably won't hold it. See in my first post above, where I said,
try putting a small amount of epoxy under it

By epoxy, I mean a two-part glue that has to be mixed together before use. I would not recommend something like "JB Weld©", as it contains metal and is conductive. You may need to use a hypodermic needle & syringe to "inject" the epoxy under the contact.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Bat2way

Future reliability...

Post by Bat2way »

Does all this extra work/future reliability worries = the cost of an OEM battery? If I was giving this to a customer, for instance, it would have a new OEM battery and fuggetaboutit.
Will

Post by Will »

But then again.. some of us like to repair things.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”