Colored MTS2000 Cases?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Colored MTS2000 Cases?

Post by N4DES »

Do colored cases (plastic) for the MTS2000 exist? If what are the color options and part #'s?

Mark
VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Re: Colored MTS2000 Cases?

Post by VE9MP »

Krylon Fusion paint from Walmart 8)
-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

That was my other option...just was trying to avoid the issues with masking everything off.
We are trying to set up a "loaner radio program" and it would be easiest way to identify them visually.

Mark
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

If I remember right, some time back, someone had a white Jedi case (I think it was in the Jarrassic Park White saber thread a few years ago). Try getting in touch with the person in that thread. I'm pritty sure someone here has white Jedi cases. As far as other colors, I think you are SOL.
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

OK thanks.
akardam

Post by akardam »

KS4VT wrote:We are trying to set up a "loaner radio program" and it would be easiest way to identify them visually.
Have you considered engraving? Any good engraving company should be able to take care of that, plus add some color to the indentations of the engraving, so it would stand out. That's how pretty much every radio rental shop does it.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

My FD does " Spare" with a stensil on front in Orange paint.
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

I remember the days at the depot when we would get "colored" covers. The customer had done such a fantastic job at coloring them you could barely tell they were painted. I would use that plastic paint mentioned earlier and just order new labels like that customer did. Then all you would have to mask off is the display and mic port, and if you have a keypad just pop the cover apart before you paint it and pull the keypad.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Here is a little eye candy for everyone.. This is one of mine that is tucked away and only comes out for photos.. Haha.

The Motorola clear housings were the first or second ever made, to make sure the chassis, boards, shields, and the rest of the guts fit together ok before the standard black plastic housings were produced.

Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Post by VE9MP »

Droool
Very jealous!
-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

Thanks for all of the responses.

Mark
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

We use labels inside the radio and on the case where the Motorola top and MTS2000 Labels are. We also Paint Batteries so no one steals my Impres ones.
werdnuts
Batboard $upporter

Post by werdnuts »

Professional engraving is the way to go. Check with the M Dealer/MSS in your area. The one here in STL does it, for a charge. They use computer engraving machine, then paint the engraved area in the color of your choice. It turns out very nice. Their entire rental fleet is engraved as well. Most of their customers pay the few extra bucks to protect their investments. (Most people also number their radios.)

Keep in mind, if you do change the cases, there will be additional costs, such as the speaker felt, escutcheon stickers (top and 2 front - Mot and Model) and a few new PTT assemblies -- just 'cause they are easy to break when you are removing them.

It might be a more feasible means to your goal.
-werdnuts

VoIP# BAT-CRAP (2727)
Glen W Christen

Post by Glen W Christen »

Regarding colored cases, years ago in the days of the HT220, Motorola had a bright orange housing as an option. The local RR reserved it for their supervisors so that they didn't mysteriously 'disappear' into someone elses hands. There was also an option for a bright yellow housing for mobile microphones at the same time. Not sure of the rational for that one.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Yes, there were interesting variations. Saw HT220's in red and yellow. BOP used to use a Ht220 slimline body alarm that was red (got my hands on a few of those brand new a few years back). Far as the mobile mics I worked with an outfit that had red mics and also a regular mic with a blue windscreen, believe we were using Micors,Mitreks at the time, very handy as the car had 4 mic's many times calls were responded to on the wrong mic, this helped.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Illinois state police issued ISPERN radio's has a Red Motorola Motrac mic with a white grille. The Illinois EMS had MERCI radios with Yellow and the grille was black. I think the motorcycle radios were Black with white grilles
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Mfire39 wrote:Here is a little eye candy for everyone.. This is one of mine that is tucked away and only comes out for photos.. Haha.

The Motorola clear housings were the first or second ever made, to make sure the chassis, boards, shields, and the rest of the guts fit together ok before the standard black plastic housings were produced.

I had one of those a few years back, sold the plastic on Epay for $180+
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by w5gm »

I see your clear moto plastic and raise you one... on 33cm..

Mine came from Wayne Lott at Delta 15 years ago. I expect it to be tucked under my arm in my casket when I go.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

w5gm wrote:I see your clear moto plastic and raise you one... on 33cm..

Mine came from Wayne Lott at Delta 15 years ago. I expect it to be tucked under my arm in my casket when I go.

Outstanding! I would be willing to put my next paycheck on the line and say that yours and mine are prob the only two clear model 3 Jedi housings in existence from Motorola.. Like I said early on in this post, the clear housings were the first one or two ever produced for quality control to make sure all the guts fit inside. So they were made before the Black model 3 Jedi's were even produced and released in the wild. Thanks for sharing that..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
W4KRR
What radios do you own?: XTS3000's; XTS2500's; many sca

Post by W4KRR »

I saw a guy with a clear MTS2000 at a computer show years ago. Either of you guys ever been to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida?
Ken, W4KRR
KX5MOT
was JonboyOK
What radios do you own?: Motorola Talkabout 250

Post by KX5MOT »

A little OT from the MT's but here is my clear SP50 i posted a while back on a another thread.

"Archers."
"I beg pardon, sire. Won't we hit our own troops?"
"Yes....but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves....attack"

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”