spectra with no power connector?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay
Batboard $upporter

spectra with no power connector?

Post by Jay »

I took in a Spectra recently that has no power connector on the rear as most typically do. Instead it just has a blank plate. The model # is D33KMA7JA7AK. From my homework, it looks like this is a motorcycle Spectra. It has two DB-25 connectors on the front of it. It came with a systems 9000 head (HCN1036E SP06) and a HKN4356B interconnect cable.

So how do I power this thing up, since there is a blank plate where I would expect to plug in 12v? The interconnect cables does have the orange and green leads, but I imagine that just provides power to the head.

Thanks
Jay
Bill_G

Re: spectra with no power connector?

Post by Bill_G »

I'd be taking the pa section off and looking inside.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Just looked thru my old brochures, looks like Mcy radios start with a M prefix believe you have a low power dash mount (d prefix) radio. You're right about the green and orange lines, one is the stay alive battery line the other is ignition sense, not suitable for powering the radio. How to power ? Got me, haven't heard of such a variation. The DB=25 connectors don't seem like an appropriate place, can't carry much current but guess in a SP build of a very low power radio like telemetry it's possible. Also the head doesn't seem original should be a A7 .
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Just a guess, could it be a secondary receiver, or VRS of some kind?

Jim
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I'd be interested to see the outcome but I'd bet you guys hit it, makes the most sense. To me it shows a standard low power radio by model # but as a SP build the original model # would carry thru and the SP variation would sort of be an addendum to the build. Wonder if they'd still carry thru the FCC ID# on the label even though no transmitter is inside ?
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

Bet it's this per batlabs info site based on the 1036 sp06 control head.

As a side note, there was also a SP06 option used by the Washington State Police. This option allowed the control of a Spectra and a Syntor X9000 from a single control head. It may use HLN5027ASP06 firmware, which is still available from Motorola. We do not know what RSS this setup would use or any other information about it. What we do know is that the Spectra is only used as an auxiliary receiver, not as a transceiver (this has been confirmed). So this combination is really a Syntor X9000 transceiver with a piggy-backed Spectra auxiliary receiver
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

You have a Washington State Police auxiliary receiver. It was used with a Syntor X9000 and connected through its control head cable with a T-cable similar to the ones used for sirens or PAC-RTs. Bruce, kc7gr knows them inside and out; search the board and you'll find a complete breakdown.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

It does sound like it fits as one of the Washington State Police receive radios. For those that are interested, here are two pics. While you can't see it in the photos, I can clearly see light through the three holes that I assume the power connector would be positioned through.

I would mention that if this was truly used as an RX only radio, it is interesting to me that there is still TX and RX coax connections from the PA to the rest of the radio.

rear of the radio...

cover removed...
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Open it up and take more pictures!

No need to violate the VCO compartment however...
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Maybe just put a power connector on it and power it up. Use lab to reflash to whatever you want.
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

I can confirm this is a SP Spectra built for the Washington State Patrol. I have two of these, and one complete operating setup with the X9000. The Spectra can only RX. They were programmed with a single channel RX only, though they can be programmed with the full 128 channels for RX. The power is supplied through a special DB25 pass through cable which connects to the DB25 connector on the Spectra and and front of the X9000. The mini-UHF connector was linked with a mini-uhf connector on the front of the X9000, and then then antenna was attached to the front of the X9000. Thus it only requires one VHF antenna for both the TX/RX of the X9000 and the RX of the Spectra. This setup does require special RSS, as it has SP06 firmware. You will not be able to program the head to work with the Spectra by using normal Spectra RSS, or X9000 RSS. The Spectra does program with normal Spectra RSS though, using the DB25 connector.

To get this rig working you still need the special X9000, control cable, mic with dual rocker, and two speakers. They are still available on ebay, by a seller in WA. These are fun to play around with, however, check the caps in the Spectra, as I'm sure they already have or soon will leak! If you need any more help let me know.

Mark
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

twowaytekk wrote: To get this rig working you still need the special X9000, control cable, mic with dual rocker, and two speakers. They are still available on ebay, by a seller in WA. These are fun to play around with, however, check the caps in the Spectra, as I'm sure they already have or soon will leak! If you need any more help let me know.
Is there a possible source of RSS?
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

The RSS required is Syntor X 9000 Ver 4.03.SP06

Mark
jjbond
Batboard $upporter

Post by jjbond »

If any of you want more of these radios, here's your chance. :)

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/state, ... auc=417620

Spectra D33KMA7JA7AK (51ct)
Spectra T99DX+099W_ASTRO (24ct)
Spectra Astro Kit-HLN1185E (7ct)
System 9000 Kit-YLN1115A (6ct)
Syntor XX9000 T99KE+037W (58ct)
Control Heads (90ct)
Motorola Microphones (91ct)
Miscellaneous power & cords in large box
4 Bags of Motorola Speakers (count unknown, pallet weighs approx 218 lbs)

Jennifer
Jennifer Bond

"There is no greater, darker, deafening sound than, after the loss of a K-9 partner, climbing back into a patrol car and hearing only silence."
Will

Post by Will »

Nice to hear from you Jennifer.

That is a LOT of toys!
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Not to really Necro an old thread...

Here is one on Ebay now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-SYNTOR ... 35b1656a6c
jjbond
Batboard $upporter

Post by jjbond »

Thanks Cap'n....
Jennifer Bond

"There is no greater, darker, deafening sound than, after the loss of a K-9 partner, climbing back into a patrol car and hearing only silence."
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Perhaps the better question would have been... Where do you find a mic with a dual-rocker?
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

I found one in a box of random Spectra bits at a hamfest a few years back. $5 for the whole thing!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”