Motorola Maxtrac Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

yardbirdjr

Motorola Maxtrac Question

Post by yardbirdjr »

Hello All!

I have a nice Maxtrac Low Band that is on the 42-50 Mhz split. It is 6 Channels

I was just wanting to see if it is possible and worth the time and money to convert it to either 16 or 32 channels and scan.

Please advise

Thanks

David
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Re: Motorola Maxtrac Question

Post by PETNRDX »

If it has a 5 pin logic board, it might only be able to go to 16 ch.
But, if it has a 16 pin logic board, then it can be blanked and reinitialized as a 32 channel "High Signaling" model with scan, channel number "alias" etc.
It is pretty common to do that.
There is a thread further down discussing how to do it.
(The other fellow is doing a 29 mhz one, but its the same process)
Definitely worth doing.
Steve K.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

While you can add more channels, you can't get it to scan more than 16 of them at the time.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

I've done several of the low-band Maxtrac conversions. Yes, it's possible, but doing it right will require a service monitor. This is mainly because you need to do some tweaks to the receiver's front end, in the form of putting stainless-steel or brass set-screws into some of the coil forms. The fact that the screws are non-ferrous creates an anti-magnetic effect which actually lowers the inductance of said coils, thus allowing the front end to push up above 50MHz.

I've also found, in most cases, you need to modify the PA power control circuit to allow for manual setting with a trimpot. This is because the firmware doesn't deal well with frequencies above 50MHz where power output is concerned.

There are good instructions on both the regular Batlabs site and on repeater-builder.com. If, after examining this material, you decide it's too overwhelming or you don't have the test gear or skill needed, I can do the conversion for you at my normal rates.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”