Motorola OEM GPS antennas on a 2500/5000: will GPS work?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

beemare

Motorola OEM GPS antennas on a 2500/5000: will GPS work?

Post by beemare »

I'm sure we're all aware of the new GPS antennas that Moto sells, so my question is this.

If I were to purchase one for my XTS5K and install it, will the location feature work and display my location without the use of a GPS speaker mic, or, are those antennas only GPS capable for use on the TRBO and APX lines?
Monitor142
What radios do you own?: MT500 w/ P25 trunking and AES

Re: Motorola OEM GPS antennas on a 2500/5000: will GPS work?

Post by Monitor142 »

Well you can put that antenna on the radio all day long but it isn't going to help. The XTS series does not have GPS hardware on board, hence the external mic with GPS built in for location based tracking.
beemare

Re: Motorola OEM GPS antennas on a 2500/5000: will GPS work?

Post by beemare »

Monitor142 wrote:Well you can put that antenna on the radio all day long but it isn't going to help. The XTS series does not have GPS hardware on board, hence the external mic with GPS built in for location based tracking.
Thanks for your remark Monitor142. The first sentence wasn't needed, but the info in your second sentence of your post was the info I was looking for.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”