XTS 3000 Encryption Algorithm Changes?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

XTS 3000 Encryption Algorithm Changes?

Post by AL7OC »

My knowledge of Motorola radios is somewhat archaic - I had a VHF Compa-Station and still have a working low-band MOTRAC. I am reading all that I can find on my newly acquired XTS3000, so please bear with me on a few questions...

I got my XTS3000 III for combination SAR, business, and amateur P25 use. I have a collection of Thales 25 radios set up for DES-OFB encryption for Part 90 services and I want to set up the XTS3000 for the same algorithm. My local dealer says that the radio can be "flashed" for DES-OFB; when I talked to Motorola, they tell me that I need to buy a NTN9121A module. I am somewhat confused as to whether this radio has a UCM, or algorithm specific module.

Any ideas on what this radio might need to get it set up for DES-OFB?

Here's information on the radio itself:

Model - H09KDH9PW7AN
Serial- 620AYU****
Flashcode: 140001-000000-3
ROS - R07.02.02
DSP - N07.03.10
EMC - R02.02
KG1 - DES-XL
KG2 -(Blank)

How difficult is it to open the XTS case to check the internal modules? I presume that there is a tool for this... No place for my old Motorola "2135" key to fit!

Are there second-hand NTN9121A modules available for this radio?

Thanks for any advice or help that anyone can provide. Obviously, if it doesn't have a tube final and vibrasender/vibrasponder reeds, I'm lost!

- Pierre
Pierre

AL7OC
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Re: XTS 3000 Encryption Algorithm Changes?

Post by kotaguchi »

A DES-XL/DES-OFB UCM board a XTS3000 usually goes for around$75.00 or so..They can be some on Ebay at times.

The radio is very easy to open.What ever you do,don't use a screwdriver..It will damage your housing.Use the proper tool.

The instructions is on Batdude's article here:

http://www.akardam.net/moto/docs/mirrored/combined.pdf
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
Monitor142
What radios do you own?: MT500 w/ P25 trunking and AES

Post by Monitor142 »

Yes, I second what Kotaguchi said, don't use a screw driver to pop your case. I have done it in the past when replacing a case because I didn't care. The bottom is very fragile and mine cracked right away. No loss though.

Fast forward to a few days ago, I pulled a MacGyver since I needed to pop the case on my 5000. Opened the kitchen drawer and low and behold my George Foreman grill three prong plastic scraper worked great. The official tool from /\/\ is cheap but in a pinch Mr. Foreman came through for me. :lol:

-M142
AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

Post by AL7OC »

Thanks for the link to the article. I'll keep an eye peeled for a NTN9121A here and on ebay. I found the CPS to be a little awkward to use compared to Icom and Thales programming software, but am getting the hang of it. It's nice to have something a little more modern from Motorola in my collection.

-Pierre
Pierre

AL7OC

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”