Trunking and MTX's

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Zach489
Banned

Trunking and MTX's

Post by Zach489 »

I always wondered if the Jedi MTX's support Type II trunking. If so, I'm guessing they won't work on a Rebanded system... am I wrong? I've never bothered to play around with the MTX's, but I figured it wouldn't hurt if I came across an extra one dirt cheap on eBay.

The other radios I've wanted to play around with were the MTX Trunking (Waris Series) radios. Are they "rebandable"? What software do they program with? Do they constitute as "Euro" Moto?

Thanks guys.
Victor Xray

Re: Trunking and MTX's

Post by Victor Xray »

MTXs are not public safety radios and do not support rebanding. The only Jedi radio that can be rebanded are MTS2000s with a 512K controller and a firmware upgrade. MTX8250 and other Waris series are not public safety radios and do not support rebanding.
Last edited by Victor Xray on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Actually, that'd be 512k, not 256k. The 256k controllers don't have enough room for the post-rebanded firmware.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

Zach489 wrote:I always wondered if the Jedi MTX's support Type II trunking. If so, I'm guessing they won't work on a Rebanded system... am I wrong? I've never bothered to play around with the MTX's, but I figured it wouldn't hurt if I came across an extra one dirt cheap on eBay.

The other radios I've wanted to play around with were the MTX Trunking (Waris Series) radios. Are they "rebandable"? What software do they program with? Do they constitute as "Euro" Moto?

Thanks guys.
Waris MTX (MTX950/9250/850/8250) are American radios. (In fact Universal Studios Orlando uses them). They program with HVN9067, Pro Trunking CPS.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

to my knowledge the Waris radios aren't public safety radios capable of NPSPAC channels, and were never sold as Smartnet/Smartzone, just plan old Privacy Plus. MTX radios are business radios and lack all the Smartnet II features like emergency, dynamic regrouping, priority scan, remote monitor/radio trace, etc.
They may support the type II protocol but not all the advanced features. You'll need a true MTS2000 for that, and as others have said, rebanding capable controller (512K) with rebanding firmware (8.73) to support rebanding.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

akardam wrote:Actually, that'd be 512k, not 256k. The 256k controllers don't have enough room for the post-rebanded firmware.
Yup, my bad. The brain was thinking, the fingers were typing, but the coffee had not yet connected the two.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Actually the Waris line does support Smartnet, just not in the US market. look at the the ATS2500 in Europe. I was actually thinking of reflashing my UHF so I can listen to West Co, and FDNY. Pro CPS I believe is also EU. Motorola will build anyone anything for a price, but since they don't consider the Waris line Public Safety they don't want the trunked Waris loose in the USA. That's my reasoning from looking at all of the Motorola product worldwide, Motorola may think otherwise.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:Actually the Waris line does support Smartnet, just not in the US market. look at the the ATS2500 in Europe. I was actually thinking of reflashing my UHF so I can listen to West Co, and FDNY. Pro CPS I believe is also EU. Motorola will build anyone anything for a price, but since they don't consider the Waris line Public Safety they don't want the trunked Waris loose in the USA. That's my reasoning from looking at all of the Motorola product worldwide, Motorola may think otherwise.
Yep, there's even grayed-out SmartZONE fields in the MTX4550.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:Actually the Waris line does support Smartnet, just not in the US market.
Or the MTX8250/9250, MTX850/950... those are here in the US market....
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

Motorola makes (for the EMEA market) the GP580 as well. It is basically an MTX8250 that supports SmartZone. So they do make it available in the Waris package, just not on this side of the pond. I would be curious if you could take an EMEA radio such as the GP380s that seem to be had for so cheap and re-flash it with GP580 firmware and get a V/U/8/9 SmartZone radio out of it.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

I did try to flash a standard VHF with a "D" Tanapa, and I bricked the radio. Word has it that a different flash chip or processor is used for each geographic are of the world, which doesn't sound right, but I don't have another radio to try yet. The other problem would be system keys, does the generic key generator work with the Waris line?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”