Jedi's & ext antenna switch.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Jedi's & ext antenna switch.

Post by N4KVE »

I have some UHF MTS 2000's [B4], a few UHF HT 1000's, as well as 2 UHF MTX 838's [B4]. The MTS 2000's all seem to have the antenna switch to use the PS mike, or MTVA. I know when I used to have some MTX 8000's that were built after '93 they didn't have this switch as a cost saving measure. So do the HT 1000's, & MTX 838's have this switch or not? Thanks. GARY N4KVE
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: Jedi's & ext antenna switch.

Post by RadioSouth »

I can answer the HT1000 part. 'A' models were available in 2, 8 or 16 channels and had the RF switch. Starting with rev. B only 2 and 16 ch. radios were made and the RF switch on all the 2 channel models was dropped up till model cancellation.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

all MTS2000's have the RF switch, as do all MT2000's. As RadioSouth said, the later BN-DN 2 channel HT1000's and MTX8000/9000's usually do not have it. But then again I've come across a later radio that did have one. Maybe it was replaced during it's life or the factory ran out of boards without them and subbed a part. Easy way to tell without popping the suspect radio open is to just program it to RX, turn it to an active channel and use a pencil eraser or something to actuate the plunger. If the received signal weakens when depressed, you have the RF switch. If not, you don't have one.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Several MTS2000 models for 900 did not have the RF switch, as well as the MTX9000 series(had both).
This is not written in stone though as both models were available both ways for whatever reason.
My current MTX9000 has the switch, but the one I sold, did not. Same thing for my previous MTS2000 on 900...no switch.
Both radios were the same model type and firmware version.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

MTS2000des wrote: Easy way to tell without popping the suspect radio open is to just program it to RX, turn it to an active channel and use a pencil eraser or something to actuate the plunger. If the received signal weakens when depressed, you have the RF switch. If not, you don't have one.
Using a Q tip I tried this on a busy freq. Worked on all radios including 3 900 MHZ MTS 2000's, so I guess all my Jedi's have this switch. Thanks for the hint. GARY N4KVE

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”