MTS2000 800MHz won't transmit on PTT

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dustinezack
New User

MTS2000 800MHz won't transmit on PTT

Post by dustinezack »

I just bought an MTS2000 800MHz (Model I) from eBay, and I've been having issues transmitting. It has been flashed for SmartNet operation, but I am only interested in using it for conventional operation.

It was originally programmed to receive only on several talkgroups from a trunked system, and I had issues deleting both the system and trunked personalities (only Lab RSS would allow me to do so). I then programmed several public safety mutual aid frequencies into the radio (which I am authorized to use), but the radio will not transmit. Upon pressing the PTT button, the radio emits an alert tone as though the button was unprogrammed.

I've tried programmed the radio with RSS, Lab RSS, and CPS, and the codeplug has been updated successfully each time, but I still cannot transmit. I made sure that each personality was not set to receive only, and that Smart PTT has been disabled. Also, I have made sure that Tx Inhibit was not assigned to any button or switch.

Model Number: H01UCD6PW1BN
Software Option: H38
Radio Software Version: 05.30

If anyone has any insight as to the reason behind this problem, and/or how to remedy the issue, I would greatly appreciate it!
Spiffy50

Re: MTS2000 800MHz won't transmit on PTT

Post by Spiffy50 »

First, you're lucky to have a radio that can be messed around with Lab in the first place! MTS2000s implemented "tool proofing" starting with Firmware 5.42 which means that if you tried to use Lab, it would essentially brick the radio.

Only thing I can think of is that someone went into the Lab features and re-assigned the PTT button to be "Blank". Load up Lab; Go into the assignment page for buttons (where you set what the orange button and the side buttons do). There will be a function called "LAB BUTTONS" (F9 I believe). Go in there and see what PTT (and External PTT) are set for. I'd be willing to bet they're set to something other than PTT.
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Post by kotaguchi »

Under MTS2000 CPS,did you check the Zone/Ch assignment?

To make sure that you have the correct channel no assigned to the correct zone and to change personality type from trunked to conventional?Also check under SECURE option and make sure that you don't have hardware encryption enabled checked off.
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
dustinezack
New User

Post by dustinezack »

Spiffy50 wrote:I'd be willing to bet they're set to something other than PTT.
That was it! I'm not sure how I missed that menu...

I contacted the seller...apparently he did this on purpose so he wouldn't accidentally transmit as he was using it as a scanner.

Thank you!
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

No problem, glad you got it sorted out!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”