Motorola "SP"Jedi Public Safety Mics????

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Motorola "SP"Jedi Public Safety Mics????

Post by kotaguchi »

I just picked up two NEW IN BOX Jedi Public Safety Mics and looking to get info on them.

Motorola Kit no#NMN6228C

Jedi,30" Noise Canceling Public Safety Mics with 3.5mm earpiece jack.

But the two mics I got looks more like "SP"models.

On the mic head,there is a separate wire coming down the bottom of the mic head.The connector looks like a hirose 6 pin jack connector.

On the bottom of the mic accessory jack,there is a separate wire coming off the top that looks like a 3.5mm jack of some kind?

Anyone know any of info on these mics?

I don't have any Jedi portables to check the connectors or a earpiece to test them with.

Strange thing is the part no on the mic or the boxes does not indicate the mics as "SP"items??

I know the regular NMN6228C Public Safety Mics does not have those extra cables or the connectors.The only jack on the standard model is on the accessory connector on the bottom with the 3.5mm earpiece jack.

The included paperwork was just the basic info on the NMN6228C and the other standard Jedi Public Safety Mics and did not mention a thing about the two cables and associated connectors on the end of the cables.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ko
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
snjct2000

Re: Motorola "SP"Jedi Public Safety Mics????

Post by snjct2000 »

I bought one of those mics also. I think it was modified by an aftermarket company. Mine had a "Racing Radios" sticker on the box. My guess it was modified for a racing pit crew or something. I ended up cutting the two wire pieces off (after looking closely at the wiring). Mic works great.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

Heck if you cut off or remove the one from the mic head (6 pin hirose) i will take it :)
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

snjct2000 wrote:I bought one of those mics also. I think it was modified by an aftermarket company. Mine had a "Racing Radios" sticker on the box. My guess it was modified for a racing pit crew or something. I ended up cutting the two wire pieces off (after looking closely at the wiring). Mic works great.
They came from Diversified Electronics, a large MSS in Gerogia and the Southeast:

http://www.diversifiedelectronics.com/

Most were NOS spares for the Cobb county, GA Smartnet II trunking system. They were used by Cobb county PD motor cycle units with their David Clark headsets to interface their MTS2000 portables that STEP and Special Ops motor units carried. It allowed them to quickly take off their motor helmet without having to unass the whole radio. A "grab and go" modification.

Cobb went to an Astro 25 SZOL v6 system in 2006 and the old analog system is no longer used (but is still up for a backup). Most of these made it out of a Cobb county auction earlier this year among other sources. Most of the mods were done either here at the Marietta location and some down in Forest Park.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Was wondering what this contraption was, thanks DES for the schooling. One thing noticed is the 1991 date code on these, I had several of these over the years (less the mod) and the strain reliefs on these seem subject to the crackin/falling apart that plagues a few of M's plastic type products

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”