Maxtrac maxlab error 42-50 band

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wcu02mpa

Maxtrac maxlab error 42-50 band

Post by wcu02mpa »

I am currently trying to blank a board on my maxtrac 42-50 MHz 16-pin maxtrac and am getting a serial bus error #2. The radio reads and writes fine with the regular maxtrac RSS, but the maxlab won't read it or blank the board. Some specs are as follows: model number D51MJA97A3AK, 16-pin, bench test good. I am thinking someone has swapped some stuff on here as this model number shows to be a 6 channel no scan, but has a scan head and no scan available in the codeplug. The current codeplug also has 16 channels in it. Is there any way to blank this board or swap something to get a blankable board. The board in it now shows a 5.34 chip, but something isn't right. I have been blanking these radios and converting them for over ten years but am stumped on this.

Mike
I may not fire the first shot, but I will fire the last one.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: Maxtrac maxlab error 42-50 band

Post by n7maq »

wcu02mpa wrote:I am currently trying to blank a board on my maxtrac 42-50 MHz 16-pin maxtrac and am getting a serial bus error #2. The radio reads and writes fine with the regular maxtrac RSS, but the maxlab won't read it or blank the board. Some specs are as follows: model number D51MJA97A3AK, 16-pin, bench test good. I am thinking someone has swapped some stuff on here as this model number shows to be a 6 channel no scan, but has a scan head and no scan available in the codeplug. The current codeplug also has 16 channels in it. Is there any way to blank this board or swap something to get a blankable board. The board in it now shows a 5.34 chip, but something isn't right. I have been blanking these radios and converting them for over ten years but am stumped on this.

Mike
Mike,

The fact that you can read and write with Maxtrac RSS tells me the radio MAY NOT be the problem. Have you tried the exact set up that you are using with the LAB RSS on another known good radio? I would guess that you have since you have experience doing it. If you have not tried this that is the first place I would look, my guess is that it is a RSS issue, or any other issue that will cause comm problem (CPU speed, true DOS, etc). It has been a few years since I played with any Maxtrac LAB RSS, but I don't recall running into a radio (be it a Maxtrac, Radius, or even the GM300) that I could not blank, of course LAB will only read a true Maxtrac.

Jim
wcu02mpa

Post by wcu02mpa »

Yep that is it. I pulled out my 32-CH VHF maxtrac and got the same problem. I know my HB maxtrac is 100% good so I evidently have a maxlab RSS problem......I am gonna have to remove it and re-install. Not sure what else to do.

I did that and no change. I also tried the maxlab on another computer and still same problem. At this point I am suspect of the RIB. So here is the question. Can a RIB still use the maxtrac RSS and fail using the maxlab? i.e. Are other parts of the RIB being used with the maxlab and may have failed somehow? I am really at a loss.....
I may not fire the first shot, but I will fire the last one.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Has your programming platform (ie: computer) changed recently? If you are using the latest regular RSS, it has far fewer issues with Pentium class & greater computers, as it was written to be so. The LAB RSS versions floating around are much older, and are very processor speed dependent. If you've changed to a faster computer since the last time you used the LAB, that is very likely your problem.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Did you check the serial port number, they have to be set on each software separately, and did you save F-8 the settings before exiting the last time you used the software. Also try the communicate with radio test F-6 I believe, and how is your battery in your RIB? Other than that try and reinstall the software and check the port settings again.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Make sure isr.com is in the root directory and your path statement includes the root directory.

If you have a pentium class computer, try disabling the CPU cache in the BIOS. The LAB software doesn't know how to deal with some timing issues with Pentiums because of the software age.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”