Analog vs Astro Spectra

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Lake Effect

Analog vs Astro Spectra

Post by Lake Effect »

Is the A5 head and cable for Spectra compatible with the Astro Spectra radio for bench testing? I have worked on Analog Spectra for years but recently received the Astro version for repair. I have searched here and found many threads on spectra but no clear picture of compatibility. I'm in need of a yes on no answer to this and if "no" I'll go back to the sender looking for proper cable/head combination.

L.E.
Victor Xray

Re: Analog vs Astro Spectra

Post by Victor Xray »

Will not work.
Astro W5/W7 heads have different electronics than analog A5/A7 heads.
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I'm off to find the proper test setup.

L.E.
d119

Post by d119 »

I'm not so sure it's different electronics so much as it's different firmware that's really the issue. I seem to recall at some point there was a way to make it work to some degree, but that may be incorrect and the details of what I read escape me at this point.

AFAIK, connecting an A series head to an ASTRO Spectra won't result in any damage... I can't vouch for the HHCH units though, that's a whole different story.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I just put an Astro Spectra in my car, and I was able to read & write the radio using an A9 head. It would not do anything except read & write, but didn't damage anything.

I am using an analog spectra cable between the drawer & head.

Tim
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

I am told that the radio was in a vehicle with what looked like an A5 control so I presume it was a W5. The radio had Fail 001 in the vehicle but all I get is FL 01-90 so I am thinking wrong control head causing what I am seeing.

L.E.
Tim

Post by Tim »

When I read the radio, the control head was shown as to the type (W9 in my case), but I also read in a radio that used a W5 head, and it showed that head.

Tim

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”