Anyone sucessfully using Trbo's in a Passport system

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RF_Burns

Anyone sucessfully using Trbo's in a Passport system

Post by RF_Burns »

Every since the Passport option board came out in the Trbo I've been trying to get them to work and I'm having mixed success. Radios received as recently as last week with the newest board and firmware still don't work reliably.

The biggest issue I'm having is the radios will go off searching for other sites when they are still in good service area. For instance, on the bench is a week old Trbo homed to a tower within 3 miles of our shop. It will find its homed tower, but after some random time it will go off searching, sometimes coming back to the local tower, but other times it registers on towers that are below the roam level. They are more likely to stay on that weak tower than a strong tower. Sometimes they will just search till you cycle the power. If I set it to the local home tower when I come back tomorrow morning it will be registered to a tower so far off you can't talk on it!

I've sent them back in for upgrades and also bought new ones and nothing changes. It seems mobiles work better, maybe because they are forced to roam from tower to tower all day.

CDM1550LS+ radios work great though. I'd like to get using Trbo's for future upgrades.

Ideas?
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: Anyone sucessfully using Trbo's in a Passport system

Post by com501 »

Literally hundreds of radios on a two site mine system here in Nevada, no issues. SJI has good support.

Have you checked your roaming settings against the SJI recommended values?
TAC Solutions
New User

Post by TAC Solutions »

It sounds like you need to adjust the RSSI threshold for where the radio starts to roam to other sites. We have had to play about with this setting when using the radios in digital mode in IP Site Connect configuration.

Phil

TAC Solutions
www.tacsolutions.ca
Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

The company i work for ownes the second largest Passport site in the US (47 Tower Sites) and we have tried everything from MotoTrbo to Vertex and Icom Passport radio's . Had problems with Mototrbo roaming off to other sites, refusing to lock onto the strogest site. the vertex just plain didn't work hardley at all. Icom wasnt bad. Nothing beats the CDM1550 LS+ when it comes to passport radio's though.

Mikey

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”