maratrac siren and dek w/ spectra a9?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb2crk
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra Spectra Maratrac

maratrac siren and dek w/ spectra a9?

Post by kb2crk »

is it possible to hook a Maratrac siren and dek to a Spectra a9 and have it work. I know that it will plug up but I was wondering if it could be made to work.
I was thinking of replacing my vhf hi maratrac with a high power spectra and if it could be done i could keep the uhf a3 spectra rather than change to an uhf maratrac to maintain the pa/siren set up. the maratrac is an a7 advanced head unit and the physical vip plugs look the same between the maratrac a7 and the spectra a9
just call me dos impaired.... lol
kb2crk

Re: maratrac siren and dek w/ spectra a9?

Post by kb2crk »

I guess this is a no go? Has it been tried? I was just trying to see if it had been tried before trying it myself or if someone might know whit it would not work.

Thanks
Paul
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

The Maratrac siren/PA and its DEK are not systems 9000 devices. Motorola used the same plastic housings for both Maratrac and Systems 9000 siren/PAs and DEKs, but they only look similar on the outside while being very different on the inside. The Maratrac vs. Spectra siren/PAs have different cables and different pin outs. Plugging the Maratrac siren/PA into a Spectra systems 9000 cable will probably fatally let the smoke out of either the siren/PA or radio or both of them. Because the Maratrac siren/PA is not systems 9000, it can be run stand alone without any connections to the radio, but then it needs its own separate PA microphone and will not take receive audio from the Spectra radio. The Maratrac DEK plugs into the Maratrac siren/PA and the radio with specialized Maratrac cables. The Systems 9000 DEK only plugs into the A9 control head (which uses the Spectra radio first DB-25), while the Systems 9000 siren/PA plugs into the Spectra radio second DB-25 front panel connector with Systems 9000 cables (this second DB-25 cabling setup changes if you add a VRS to the Spectra). Since you specified a high power Spectra it will always have both DB-25 connectors on the front.

However, Spectra compatible Systems 9000 siren/PAs are cheap and available. Just get a used Systems 9000 siren/PA with the appropriate DEK cable and Spectra-to-siren/PA cable. BTW, the Spectra does not need the DEK or the DEK cable if you have enough available keys on your control head. If you use a Spectra A7 or A5 head with a Systems 9000 DEK, you need the correct enhanced version control head for use with a DEK. The DEK will work with any A9 head. I think it will also work with any A4 head, but forget about the A3 HHCH which had a totally different setup/hardware.
Will

Post by Will »

I once did that with the Maratrac siren and a Spectra radio.

The siren is totally separate from the Spectra except the Maratrac DEK/siren control was mounted above the A9 control head.
kb2crk

Post by kb2crk »

thanks for the great info. I think I may take my UHF a3 spectra out of the van and put in a uhf maratrac to go with the siren. the I will go with the vhf hi band a9 spectra for 2 meters and move that maratrac into the shack.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

I have a pile of HLN1185s I haven't turned into scrap metal yet.

Haven't been able to think of any practical use for them other than a PA system at 12V.
tgo

Post by tgo »

I have been hunting for the output transistors (SK3085 & SK9134) for three bad HLN1185's I have. Apparently NLA from Motorola, and I've not been too lucky in the aftermarket, either.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

The TO3s? I have a pile of them. PM.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”