MTX (Jedi) Error Tone

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n2hbx

MTX (Jedi) Error Tone

Post by n2hbx »

I have a 900 MHz MTX (jedi) Model 1. On power-up, it gives what sounds like an error tone. Radio works fine otherwise. I have been through the programming several times and can't find a clue. Manual is no help--only shows error codes for display radios (which this obviously is not). Anybody got a handle on this one?

Thanks,

Larry, N2HBX
Spiffy50

Re: MTX (Jedi) Error Tone

Post by Spiffy50 »

Make sure none of the switches are set for Unprogrammed, as that will cause it to boop. I had this drive me crazy on an MTS2000 once, sure enough I had the concentric switch set to that.

If you'd like, send me a copy of the codeplug and I'll have a look. batlabs@teksavvy.com
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

If it's on 900 Ham I'm imagining there's a mod. or an out of range freq. that the radios balking at ?
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

If you think there might be a code assigned to that error tone you can put a top display cover on the radio and it will show up. Since the radio operates I would guess that it's a Fail 002 error.

If that is a "modified" radio it is possible that you have the front model masked rom. In which case just throw a front display cover on it and it should show up there.

If you want to know the firmware type (front or top) just throw it into test mode. If you have to push the emergency button to get it to key up then it's the front model masked rom and if it goes right into test mode then it's the top model.
n2hbx

Post by n2hbx »

Thanks for all your inputs, guys. It was an unmodified MTX used on a Smartnet system. I tried Spiffy's suggestion of reprogramming the switches...it made a different beep on power up! After programming it with a known good codeplug from a sister unit, it did the same thing. I finally ended up putting in a controller from a junked radio from the same group and programming it. Works fine. Something just squirrily with that control board, apparently.

Thanks again,

Larry

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”