Super-Turnstile antenna

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radio Intelligence Agency

Super-Turnstile antenna

Post by Radio Intelligence Agency »

Hi,
Not sure where to adress this but couldn´t find a better place for this question about the Super-Turnstile antenna also known as the Batwing antenna. My question is has anyone ever seen one used for LMR say on a repeater system?
Keep it under your hat.

Man´s got to know his limitations.
Astro Spectra

Re: Super-Turnstile antenna

Post by Astro Spectra »

k2hz

Post by k2hz »

One downside of the kd2sl antenna is that it is horizontally polarized as are all "turnstile" type antennas. Horizonal is normal polarization for TV broadcast and also for typical Ham fixed operation but not mobile. Cross polarization can cause major degradation, especially on higher frequencies and for mobile use. The issues are discussed on the link in the previous post. Also, this is a low band antenna and LMR repeaters are usually VHF/UHF.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

If this is for ham radio you could run horizontal polarisation for mobile.

It was very popular years ago for 6m mobile, see:

http://www.macnaughtonart.com/halo.htm

However, I've never seen commercial LMR using H-pol.
Radio Intelligence Agency

Post by Radio Intelligence Agency »

Thanks for the informative replies. I see that the H-pol issue makes the Batwing antenna little useful in an average LMR antenna system. That´s probably one among a few good reasons for using the stacked folded dipoles antennas instead. I have a bunch of folded dipoles that I´m about to put into service (again) and in that proces I thought about building a Batwing antenna mostly for RF links which may also be possible. Question is if there´s an actual good reason for doing so as a beam antenna might be at least as effective if not even better for the job.
Keep it under your hat.

Man´s got to know his limitations.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”