Running audio through a computer

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Bakersfieldfire
New User

Running audio through a computer

Post by Bakersfieldfire »

Our department has a cdm1250 and we want to run the audio out of the radio and into a laptop. There is a computer program that records your tones and turns them into mp3 files and then sends them via email to whoever you have chosen. The program is called two tone direct. Is there anyone out there who has done this or knows how to do this. I was talking to a technician tonight who was saying something about if I found out what pins to use he could make up a cable. If anyone has any ideas you can email me at rjwilley@gmail.com
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: Running audio through a computer

Post by thebigphish »

Code: Select all

http://www.batlabs.com/htpro.html
pin 7 for ground --> to the ring of the mic jack connector

pin 11 to RX audio --> to the tip of the mic jack connector

accessory port on CDM --> line in / mic in on computer.

I'm a little leery of your technician, if he doesn't know how to find these outputs on a 15 y/o model line by a highly visible equipment provider, i'd say do it yourself.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Bakersfieldfire
New User

So you are saying use pins 7 and 11. How do you then get from there to 3.5mm audio feed like you have on headphones? On our computer that would be what is plugging into the audio. It's essentially a microphone at that point
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Bakersfieldfire wrote:So you are saying use pins 7 and 11. How do you then get from there to 3.5mm audio feed like you have on headphones? On our computer that would be what is plugging into the audio. It's essentially a microphone at that point
The mic/line in audio connector is widely available at pretty much any electronics parts store...even Radio Shack. For the radio side, there is a kit from Motorola that provides the 16-pin connector shell and a number of pre-crimped wires, part# HLN9242A.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

wavetar wrote:much any electronics parts store...even Radio Shack.
And that's even a suprise.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Bakersfieldfire
New User

I picked up a cable from radio shack. I cut off the jack and exposed the wires that will connect to the radio. I have 3 wires one red, one black, and a bare wire. I'm assuming that the black and red are audio left and right? Or is one the hot cable and one ground? I was thinking that you wire together the black and red for audio and the bare wire is the ground. Please let me know
Will

Post by Will »

Bakersfieldfire wrote: red for audio and the bare wire is the ground. Please let me know
That is correct. Red to pin 11 on the Accy connector
. Bare to ground pin 7
And goes to LINE IN on the computer.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”