MTR3000 - IRLP and EchoLink Interface

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

MTR3000 - IRLP and EchoLink Interface

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I recently acquired a VHF 136 – 174 MHz MTR3000 repeater. It has the following connectors:

J4 - Wireline Connector - 96 pins
J5 - System Connector - 96 pins
J7 - Auxiliary System Connector - 25 pins

Is one of these connectors is the so-called “MRTI interface?” If not, can it be added in the field?

I need the following interface points to enable a direct, hard wired connection to an IRLP Embedded Node:

TX Audio - Input
RX Audio - Output
COR
COS Detect
PTT - Input

Question: In reviewing the MTR3000 User Installation Manual, I am unclear as to some of the pinouts’ labeling and functionality. Will I need to interface to all three of these connectors to achieve my 5 needed interface points?

Thanks for any help!

Larry
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: MTR3000 - IRLP and EchoLink Interface

Post by escomm »

You may want to consider reading the CPS help file and/or the basic & detailed service manuals, as these documents have answers to the questions you're asking.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

OK, I tried looking through the Basic Service manual, but I couldn't get a grip on this. I will try the CPS Help file. Thanks!

Larry
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

FYI, found a plethora of good interface info for MTR2000/3000 on the Repeater Builder site. Spells everything out in plain english, with pictures, wiring diagrams, etc. and labels all of the key pinouts needed to interace typical controllers (and therefore IRLP/EchoLink embedded PC's). Coverts Moto shorthand, like C, to actual functions. Not sure why Moto coded/labeled many of the pins on the system connector with double letters, rather than simply spelling out the various functions. The repeater builder site does this very nicely.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Just be careful because many of the functions on the MTR2000 are not present on the MTR3000.
Will

Post by Will »

escomm wrote:Just be careful because many of the functions on the MTR2000 are not present on the MTR3000.
Exactly, and some of the information on the MTR2000 on R B is wrong.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Will: you just can't resist getting a dig in about repeater-builder, can you? I don't see YOU offering any corrections. Makes me wonder if perhaps it's YOU who is wrong.
kuggie

Post by kuggie »

Will wrote:
escomm wrote:Just be careful because many of the functions on the MTR2000 are not present on the MTR3000.
Exactly, and some of the information on the MTR2000 on R B is wrong.

What "exactly" is wrong Will? We strive for accuracy on Repeater Builder, so if you'd kindly offer corrections, we'd be happy to correct what is wrong.

Thanks,
Kevin Custer
Owner
Repeater Builder
xmo

Post by xmo »

Kevin,

Welcome to the board.

Many of us here really appreciate the great resource you provide at Repeater Builder and all the hard work that you and many others, including Bob, have done to make it the premier on-line technical site for those who are building and maintaining repeater systems.
Will

Post by Will »

kcbooboo wrote:Will: you just can't resist getting a dig in about repeater-builder, can you? I don't see YOU offering any corrections. Makes me wonder if perhaps it's YOU who is wrong.
Sorry bud, corrections have been sent to R B in the past and ignored.
kuggie

Post by kuggie »

Will wrote:
Sorry bud, corrections have been sent to R B in the past and ignored.
That's the type of response I expected to see. So,the offer stands that if you (or others) have information to make articles more technically correct, forward them to me or Bob M.
kuggie

Post by kuggie »

xmo wrote:Kevin,

Welcome to the board.
Thank you.
xmo wrote: Many of us here really appreciate the great resource you provide at Repeater Builder and all the hard work that you and many others, including Bob, have done to make it the premier on-line technical site for those who are building and maintaining repeater systems.
Some folks forget that RB is totally free, and the volunteers are unpaid. They also might not realize that information that others author is only as good as the person writing the article, and the webmasters might not have extensive working knowledge of what is being written about. We do our best to verify the correctness of what is submitted, but that only extends to our ability - today. Articles are corrected all the time. In fact, on February 13 of this year, a PDF article about connecting a ID-O-Matic as a RICK was updated by Bob M by request of Will Martin. I suppose Will forgot about it because it happened so fast... :o

Thanks again guys - I'll duck and go back into the wood work now.

Kevin
ke4pwe
New User

Post by ke4pwe »

"I recently acquired a VHF 136 – 174 MHz MTR3000 repeater. It has the following connectors:

J4 - Wireline Connector - 96 pins
J5 - System Connector - 96 pins
J7 - Auxiliary System Connector - 25 pins

Is one of these connectors is the so-called “MRTI interface?” If not, can it be added in the field?

I need the following interface points to enable a direct, hard wired connection to an IRLP Embedded Node:

TX Audio - Input
RX Audio - Output
COR
COS Detect
PTT - Input

Question: In reviewing the MTR3000 User Installation Manual, I am unclear as to some of the pinouts’ labeling and functionality. Will I need to interface to all three of these connectors to achieve my 5 needed interface points?"

I recently had the same problem with the interfacing on a MTR3000, I have other MTR2000 that are interfaced with CAT products and are using both MRTI(J7)and the 90AUX (J5) but after doing research on this, here on this site, and other companies selling interfaces I find that the (J5) is a useless connector now and you have to use the (J7) for everything.
According to Trident for their interface which should be for most others, the information below should help. I will be porting this shortly and will report on it. The equipment I'm working on is State of Florida Medical Mutual Aid so this information will be useful for the rest of the techs having to do this.

J7 port information

RX Descriminator PIN 7
TX Audio PIN 22
TX Data PIN 13
+12Dc PIN 20
TX PTT PIN 2
DC Ground PIN 16

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”