Tone Keying on XTL 2500

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tvining

Tone Keying on XTL 2500

Post by tvining »

I have 4 new XTL 2500's and would like to hook them up to a Siemen's Dispatch console with the ability to change channels, and provide ptt (6 wire tone remote).

I don't have consolettes for them.

Is there a low-cost adapter? or anyone have plans for one here?
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Tone Keying on XTL 2500

Post by wavetar »

Many people here have used CPI tone panels with good success. Very good price point...the housing is even optional:

http://www.cpicomm.com/tonetermpanels.pdf
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

tvining wrote:I have 4 new XTL 2500's and would like to hook them up to a Siemen's Dispatch console with the ability to change channels, and provide ptt (6 wire tone remote).

I don't have consolettes for them.

Is there a low-cost adapter? or anyone have plans for one here?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no ability to change channels on the XTL series radios from the accessory connectors. One additional comment to this is that when they are used in a consolette package, the control board in that configuration does use the digital control bus to be able to change the channels using tone remote control. You have the ability to have up to 8 channel control in this package.

I know you already said you have the XTL radios, but a CDM would work better in this application. You have access to channel steering externally in the CDM. With the CDM you can use a multi channel tone remote adapter panel and do what your trying to do.

Jim
tvining

Post by tvining »

Thank you for the help!

I'll check with CPI, and then if they can't help, I guess I'll buy some new radios.

It was one of those deals where I had radios that worked, and then someone trying to help bought some new radios for us. :-P
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

tvining wrote:Thank you for the help!

I'll check with CPI, and then if they can't help, I guess I'll buy some new radios.

It was one of those deals where I had radios that worked, and then someone trying to help bought some new radios for us. :-P

One of the important bits of information you left out was what type of a radio system are you trying to use these radios on? The CDM radios do have limits of what they can do. Like trunking systems. That they won't do.

Check your requirements before going much further on this project.

Jim
tvining

Post by tvining »

One of the important bits of information you left out was what type of a radio system are you trying to use these radios on? The CDM radios do have limits of what they can do. Like trunking systems. That they won't do.

Jim
Since I need channel controls, it looks like I'm going to have to downgrade back to the 5000's and throw the 2500's away. If they would have just said they were going to buy the 2500's so we could say "Hey, that won't work"- we could have saved hundreds of thousands of $$ enterprise wide.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

tvining wrote:

Jim
Since I need channel controls, it looks like I'm going to have to downgrade back to the 5000's and throw the 2500's away. If they would have just said they were going to buy the 2500's so we could say "Hey, that won't work"- we could have saved hundreds of thousands of $$ enterprise wide.

I may be missing something here in what your trying to do with these radios. Why do you think you need the XTL5000 radios now over the XTL2500 radios?

The major difference between the XTL5000 and the XTL2500 is the number of encryption keys it can hold.

Jim
tvining

Post by tvining »

The 5000s are consolette and have tone remote channel change capability.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

tvining wrote:Since I need channel controls, it looks like I'm going to have to downgrade back to the 5000's and throw the 2500's away.
Are you refereing to the XTL5000 consolette base station? If so, the XTL5000 has been cancelled. I don't remember if "last day to order" has passed. The replacement is the APX7500 consollette (as per your other thread).
tvining

Post by tvining »

Yes, and the 7500s are a different story. :-D

The 5000's are already on hand, and the 2500s and 7500s were purchased for us. However, all are mobiles on a base station, and they didn't buy us any consolettes.

I'm going to use the 7500 on one trunk bank, and just eliminate the 2500s, using the old 5000 consolettes so I can use channel control on my comm integration.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

tvining wrote:The 5000s are consolette and have tone remote channel change capability.
Only because the consolette has a board that takes the tones and translates them into SB9600 op codes that the radio can understand.
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Hmmm, hate to break it to you, but your screwed.
NONE of the XTL series can be tone controlled by a tone panel.
The XTL consolette has been discontinued and replaced with the APX consolette.
Anyone attempting to create a tone panel that would speak to the XTL radio would need to pay Motorola the standard rate of about 100K for rights to the SB9600 bus data plan in order to manufacture such a device.

Zetron does build such a device for use with their Zetron MAX consoles and the license fee for the box is near the cost of the box.
So it's possible, it's just not practical.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
TxRadiotech
New User

Post by TxRadiotech »

I have to disagree with desperado. You can in fact control an XTL via tone remote control.
You just cannot do anything but transmit and receive.
A CPI 2 or 4 wire termination panel will interface directly to the accessory connector
(You will need aux PTT enabled in software programming in the radio)
I have several XTL2500's running on a single dispatch channel (800 mhz talk group) with no problems - controlled by a Zetron 4010 console.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

TxRadiotech wrote:I have to disagree with desperado. You can in fact control an XTL via tone remote control.
You just cannot do anything but transmit and receive.
A CPI 2 or 4 wire termination panel will interface directly to the accessory connector
(You will need aux PTT enabled in software programming in the radio)
I have several XTL2500's running on a single dispatch channel (800 mhz talk group) with no problems - controlled by a Zetron 4010 console.
By "control" I believe he meant more than simply PTT and TX/RX audio.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

OP did clearly state he wanted to change channels...
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Well, this did answer a question that came up for me today - no changing of the channelness of an XTL mobile used as a base by tone or local control. There are no channel steering inputs on the accy plug. I wanted to find a magic box that did that, but apparently no one makes one including MOT. The customer will be disappointed.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”