Centracom Gold Elite BIM Question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mhoeft

Centracom Gold Elite BIM Question

Post by mhoeft »

Does a BIM know, through programming or DIP switches, whether it is used in 2-wire or 4-wire configuration?
All of our current BIMs are 2-wire to tone remotes; I now have to re-use a BIM for another radio and it calls for 4-wire interface.....
Do I need to reprogram the BIM or reconfigure some DIP switches, or doesn't it matter?
Thanks
Mike
d119

Re: Centracom Gold Elite BIM Question

Post by d119 »

Doesn't matter. The BIM will receive on either pair, but only transmits on one pair.

It's how you punch it down.

One pair is TX/RX, the other pair is RX only. For 2-wire, punch to the TX/RX pair. For 4-wire punch TX to the TX/RX pair, RX to the RX pair.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

We have manual transfer swtches to switch between main and back-up radios. The main is 4-wire, the back-up is 2- wire.

The BIM doesn't care what pair it RX's on, as D119 says, long as the TX pair is correct in the 4-wire
Rod Farva
What radios do you own?: Way too many!!

Post by Rod Farva »

Each Bim has 4wire capablity as mentioned but also has logging, each slot in the card cage has a specific row on the punch block, there is a punch block road map in the centracom CEB manual. Each slot in the card cage will give you 3 rows on the punch block, 2w 4w and logging...
I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA I WANT A GOD*&^*& LITER OF COLA!
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

The pairs that you punch on are dependent on what slot you are in. The statement of 2 wire / 4 wire / logging is correct.
However, I am not 100% certain that you don't need to re jumper the BIM.

You can have a couple different configurations
2 wire
4 wire half duplex
4 wire full duplex

Full duplex allows you to connect a radio that generates a connect tone or has a side tone on key for a wait on MDC or other signaling.
IT also allows for talk permit tone, unsecure tone and the like.
If you are configured this way, it will create a feedback loop and howl at you.

Those jumpers are JU14 JU25 and JU26

Let me know if you need the specifics.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”