At whits end. CC2's and the people......

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

At whits end. CC2's and the people......

Post by desperado »

CC2's and the people dumb enough to drag them home.
I have a problem, well 2 actually.
First one is that I tend to drag home old crap with the idea of applying a bit of time and effort and having something cool. It don't always work that way.
Which leads me to the second issue. I drug home a Centracom II console system complete with furniture and CEB. I did get all the stuff.
It does work as it was programmed from the factory and operates wonderfully.... except its all single channel, the paging tones are unneeded, and about 10 other things I want to change on it.

I have the Motorola approved PROMPRO8X unit... I have the Centracom 2 PLUS software... and I can read CC2+ PROMS.
I can't read this dumb thing at all.
It's not a CC2+ it's old school. 2764 PROMS and I need to read it out and mod the config.
I assume at this point, but am not 100 % sure that the CC2+ software is not going to work with this thing.
If that is the case, was there a piece of software that I need to be hitting the older techs at work up for?
I do work for an MSS. I am not asking for software. I just need to know if I need something different or if I am just hosed with this thing.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
xmo

Re: At whits end. CC2's and the people......

Post by xmo »

The 6809 / OMI based CCII button & LED consoles program with a special firmware kit that installs on a spare OMI. This was sold as the B1610 Field Prom Programmer [FPP].

The FPP consists of two sets of PROM's: Part 1 firmware BLN6778A and Part 2 firmware BLN6779A. The kit also included an instruction manual 6881070E10 and sold for $1100.00

Additionally, a CCII serial option card is used to support two devices, an ASCII terminal for user interface and a PROM blower which does the actual programming of the operator position personality PROM.

Several programmers from Logical Devices and Data I/O are supported.
desperado

Post by desperado »

OK, well at least now I know what I need. Thanks.
I am figuring on hunting down either a CC2 + TOMI and timer
or may go the full route and grab a COMI and timer.
According to the training manual from class, somehow you can interface a Gold Elite to a Button and LED op position.
As funny as this may sound, I would prefer the button and LED, as long as I can fully program it.

I may run into a couple problems with this as most of my CEB is red boards (age)
The other thing I am finding issue with is there are several dual receive boards in the CEB. They are configured and recognized in the system (checked via the ESC commands) but I can't figure out how they are configured or work in the system.
Other that that, and the fact I haven't figured out the paging buttons yet (order in which things need pushed) I am getting the thing going again and having fun doing it.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
xmo

Post by xmo »

Yes, you can have a COIM based button & LED console - they called that product Centracom Gold Classic.
d119

Post by d119 »

xmo wrote:Yes, you can have a COIM based button & LED console - they called that product Centracom Gold Classic.
Correct me if I'm wrong, xmo, but I can take a Gold Classic and turn it into Gold Elite just by installing Gold Elite software, and moving jumpers/DIP switches on the CIE and COIM, correct?

Or do I need to change firmware in the COIM's?
xmo

Post by xmo »

I'm not sure about the firmware.

The only ones I was ever involved with were "official" Motorola projects and they send out new firmware versions for everything anytime you so much as touch the thing.

I think it's worth a try, though. You would want an Elite CD version that was shipped pretty close to the same time as the firmware versions in your boards.
d119

Post by d119 »

xmo wrote:I'm not sure about the firmware.

The only ones I was ever involved with were "official" Motorola projects and they send out new firmware versions for everything anytime you so much as touch the thing.

I think it's worth a try, though. You would want an Elite CD version that was shipped pretty close to the same time as the firmware versions in your boards.
Agreed. COIMs and CIE Mains are the same part numbers across platforms, and IIRC there was only ever one version of CIE Mains firmware.
desperado

Post by desperado »

OK got more CC2 pain....
I finally found what I needed.
Not only did I find the CC2 original programmer OMI's with the proper firmware to create the images for the PROM blower
I found a TOMI.

I can read the TOMI fine.
I was able to modify the configuration to match it to the config of my console

I can't however program it back in.
It is a programmable TOMI (I have both a EPROM and EEPROM TOMI) it's just not wanting to program.
I did try SW 8 on the addressing DIP switches, made no difference.

Any ideas ya'll?
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
desperado

Post by desperado »

OK, new info. I have a TOMI that is EPROM based.
I can write a PROM for it, the system comes up. Everything seems to work except I get no receive audio from any resource.

I am not running DCCM's or AEI boards, but I am trying to run the old CC2 timers. Does the timer have something to do with this?
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
xmo

Post by xmo »

There wasn't enough space on the TOMI board for them to put receive audio circuitry.

For that reason, TOMI's are always paired with an AEI.

There is a 7-pair Y-cable used to get the audio from the AEI to the OP.
desperado

Post by desperado »

Well that would explain this heartburn. I was told that an AEI board was only required if I had DCCM modules in the console.
I have a couple AEI boards at the office and will put one in.
While we are talking about this. I still can't get the other TOMI to receive an upload of a new config. I have tried all baud rate settings.
I can read it, I can push a config file to it, but i can't push a personality into it. Any ideas?

I will post here if I get it working.
BTW, I also found the OMI based programming OMI's with the ZIF sockets. Of course these are what one would refer to as rare.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
desperado

Post by desperado »

OK, I have audio. I also have a continuous tone coming from the speakers.
I need to figure out the Y cable pinout so I can make one. I assume that it's not fully parallel which is what I tried and am getting the tone with
I also need to blow another PROM for the thing. I didn't get everything right because my telephone interface is creating noise (static) when it's in the CEB.
As it turns out you can run the old system timers from a CCII OMI based CEB and the thing at least seems to run
I am getting there with it.
Now that I have a working AEI card I am going to try to program my EEPORM based TOMI again. I also found another TOMI but it has no memory on it at all so I may try moving my memory chips to it if the one don't program and see if I have a board issue causing the programming problem.
Still working on it but making progress none the less.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
d119

Post by d119 »

desperado wrote:As it turns out you can run the old system timers from a CCII OMI based CEB and the thing at least seems to run
Well yeah - it's a CCII. The only thing that needs the Gold series timers is a CEB using COIM's.

If you're using OMI's, TOMI's or TTOMI's, you use a CCII timer card (though a Gold timer will work).

No surprise it's working. Static on the CEB when the telephone interface is inserted would indicate a MUX/BUSY BUS configuration issue, or a duplicated TDM address.
desperado

Post by desperado »

I found it. You can't put a ANI card in where a OMI (slots 4 and 5) and expect it to work right.
Still having issues with my Y cable but other than that I am up and running.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”