XTL mobiles and multi PL selection with the 05 head

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim202

XTL mobiles and multi PL selection with the 05 head

Post by Jim202 »

From the lack of comments on this, it looks like few even know what I am talking about here.

let me give an example on just how nice this function is if you travel much. You program your radio with the repeater frequencies. As you travel around, the country side, you find that the input PL needed to key the repeaters. So you just push the multi PL button on the 05 control head and select the new PL that is needed. When your done, you press the multi PL button and your back to normal with the old fixed, programmed PL.

With the new software version and firmware update, you don't get this on /off ability. If you check the multi PL in the software next to the frequency, it grays out the normal PL selections and your stuck with the multi PL all the time. Now you have to select the PL you want even for your normal channels. That sucks. So in trying to fix the problem, the software geeks actually took away a very fine working application and left you with crap that you have to use for each and every channel all the time.

If I knew who the ass was that made this change, I would take them out back behind the tool shed and just whip them a new hide. This is like having a working radio and then having Motorola taking it away and giving us 2 tin cans and a string to use. Some great improvement Motorola and you wonder why your customers are going to the competition.

Jim
wa6ylb

Re: XTL mobiles and multi PL selection with the 05 head

Post by wa6ylb »

The XTL series, to my finding, has always worked as you described - if you check MPL, your forced to select a MPL something to make the channel work. There is the "preset" PL selection which might work in your case too. The alternative method you described, where you could define a PL tone, and then add MPL function to alter this, was seen in the Spectra series. I too hoped the XTL would handle PL the way it did in Spectra, but it didn't.
Sometimes I wonder who decides to do away with things like this. Most likely marketing or some other non user of radios.
B.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I have a feeling that Jim is saying it functioned to his expectations previously, and then a firmware update borked the functionality and it's no longer behaving as it had previously.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

escomm wrote:I have a feeling that Jim is saying it functioned to his expectations previously, and then a firmware update borked the functionality and it's no longer behaving as it had previously.

Jeff put it on the hammer on the nail head. It did work fine before the 2 year old software geeks got their fingers in it.

The limiting factor before was that you only had 16 choices of the multi PL selection. Now you have 42.

But now you can't turn it on or off like before the firmware / software upgrade. Plus it does away with what ever you tried to program as the fixed PL into any of the channels.

Now the multi PL selection is about useless.

Jim

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”