Apple Ipad In Place Of Panasonic Toughbook In Squad Cars,Etc

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Apple Ipad In Place Of Panasonic Toughbook In Squad Cars,Etc

Post by Jim1348 »

I was having some discussion recently about devices for data access in squad cars, fire trucks, and ambulance. Someone suggested that a fire department is using an Apple iPad in fire trucks, rather than the typical Panasonic Toughbook personal computer, because Apple iPads are less expensive that a Toughbook and fire service typically uses them for status updates. Often, it is push a button for Enroute, Arrival, and Clear. Anyway, I would be interested in hearing from people here that have done this. Personally, I would be inclined to stick with the Toughbook, but maybe for some applications this makes sense. I would be a little worried about the iPad holding up in the rigors of a public safety environment. Anyway, does anybody here know of any specific agencies that have swithced to a tablet, rather than a computer, in the vehicle and how well has this worked out?

As a side note, one of the comments made at a recent meeting I attended is that fire service, particularly non-career, have commented that by the time the computer is fired up and logged in, they are at the call! One thought would be to use a solid state drive in a laptop to reduce the time it takes to boot up. On, using an iPad should power up pretty quickly.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: Apple Ipad In Place Of Panasonic Toughbook In Squad Cars

Post by spectragod »

Jim1348 wrote:I was having some discussion recently about devices for data access in squad cars, fire trucks, and ambulance. Someone suggested that a fire department is using an Apple iPad in fire trucks, rather than the typical Panasonic Toughbook personal computer, because Apple iPads are less expensive that a Toughbook and fire service typically uses them for status updates. Often, it is push a button for Enroute, Arrival, and Clear. Anyway, I would be interested in hearing from people here that have done this. Personally, I would be inclined to stick with the Toughbook, but maybe for some applications this makes sense. I would be a little worried about the iPad holding up in the rigors of a public safety environment. Anyway, does anybody here know of any specific agencies that have swithced to a tablet, rather than a computer, in the vehicle and how well has this worked out?

As a side note, one of the comments made at a recent meeting I attended is that fire service, particularly non-career, have commented that by the time the computer is fired up and logged in, they are at the call! One thought would be to use a solid state drive in a laptop to reduce the time it takes to boot up. On, using an iPad should power up pretty quickly.
Depending on the equipment it goes into, it will work but be way less rugged, also, if used in a law enforcement capacity with LEADS/NCIC access, you will run into security concerns with LEADS/NCIC.

Maybe a Panasonic rugged issue tablet would be the hot ticket for you.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by dvpman »

Hasn't the whole security issue with iOS 7 been overcome? I know system admins get their underwear in a twist with anything other than a fully locked down version of windows but with the improvements in the mobile OS world its bound to happen. When I see a fire truck rolling down the street with 3k + worth of ruggedized laptop that could be replaced with an iPad and otter box case for a third of the cost..........someone is going to "trial" it sooner than later.

The ToughPads are a really nice unit and was quoted $1200 for them last year so compared with a iPad it might be worth looking at. They are also LTE ready unlike the Atom based Win 8 tablets we were pitched, again this was the middle of last year so things might have changed by now.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

dvpman wrote:Hasn't the whole security issue with iOS 7 been overcome?
Uhmmmmm, no.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Sure it has, security works great... if you're the NSA
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Ipads turn completely black when they get hot. They are fine inside as a consumer device. They are the last thing I would for mission critical use. Ask any pilot that has tried to use the really great programs available in the air.
NickH

Post by NickH »

Panasonic toughpad would be the perfect compromise. We have a few depts here running iPads. Honestly, for the price of them you could replace them yearly and still come out way ahead versus the price of the Toughbook over it's typical lifespan.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Jim1348 wrote: As a side note, one of the comments made at a recent meeting I attended is that fire service, particularly non-career, have commented that by the time the computer is fired up and logged in, they are at the call! One thought would be to use a solid state drive in a laptop to reduce the time it takes to boot up. On, using an iPad should power up pretty quickly.
Installed correctly, configured correctly, and some tweaks (like an SSD) drive, there is no reason a system can't be left in a low power state - ready to go by waking the system up. Cold boots take longer, but can be cut down significantly with the right minded person behind the keyboard. It is possible.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Or you use a Kussmaul system that transfers the laptop power over to shore power when in the station... just leave the computer running 24/7.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

We ended up using that for most of the parasitic loads in the chassis we worked on, essentially put a Battery Saver on a separate buss that charged handlights, portable radio chargers, computers, chargers etc...the imaged Windows systems were left in standby most of the time, running off the shoreline. Longest delay was waiting for the CFL in the display to warm up.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”