APX Consolette MultiBand Questions

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

APX Consolette MultiBand Questions

Post by FMROB »

So I called Motorola, and I have more questions than when I started. THe gentlemen on the phone was very nice, but couldn't answer the questions that I have.

I have a customer that is looking to purchase a 800/UHF consolette to hook via TRC to a legacy console system. I have the following questions

1) Does the radio (consolette TRC) simultanously RX the 800 and UHF bands?

2) How does the radio (consolette) know to TX on either 800 or a UHF channel. I would assume through custom TRC mapping? Is this limited to 16 custom funtions? Can you mix 800 and UHF channels?

3) Are there seperate TRC connections for the 800 or UHF

4) How many channels can the consolette change?

What the customer is looking to do is basically use this consolette as if it were two seperate control station radios each with tone remotes and be able to rx at the same time on both radios, and change 16 channels on either.

Thanks, Rob
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: APX Consolette MultiBand Questions

Post by escomm »

1) No

2) You program a channel for UHF or 800

3) No

4) 16 last I checked
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

And you will not TX or RX on two channels at the same time and this is all described in the sales literature as well as the manuals, do you have the basic? Sounds like your customer needs 2 radios for what they want to do
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

One thing you should understand is that any of the multi band radios on the commercial market today for Public Safery all only have one receiver and one transmitter. None of them can receive 2 bands at the same time or transmit on 2 bands at the same time.

These radios may even have 3 bands available, but remember there is only one receiver and one transmitter. The sales hype is trying to give the impression of multiple band operation at the same time. Yes the radio will scan channels on what ever bands are in the radio. But it will stop and stay on the first channel that has activity. The rest of the channels will have to wait till the scan starts up again.

If your looking at true multi band operation to allow listening to VHF, UHF and maybe even 800 at the same time, get a second and third radio if needed.

Jim
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

escomm wrote:And you will not TX or RX on two channels at the same time and this is all described in the sales literature as well as the manuals, do you have the basic? Sounds like your customer needs 2 radios for what they want to do
No sales literature or manuals. I have Motorola emailing me the planner and literature, just trying to get ahead of the curve before the email.

So, if I understand this, you can program this thing to change channels between uhf and 800. For example, channels 1-8 can be uhf, and 9-16 can be 800?

Thanks, Rob
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

FMROB wrote:So, if I understand this, you can program this thing to change channels between uhf and 800. For example, channels 1-8 can be uhf, and 9-16 can be 800?
Any combination of whatever bands the radio is capable of. All handled through zone/channel assignment programming.

Tone channel assignment is handled on a one-to-one basis. For example, F1 tone selects Zone 1, Channel 1, F2 selects Zone 1, Channel 2, and so on. This also applies to ACIM control.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

It's really no different than any other radio. You program a channel with a RX and TX frequency. The "unique" thing here is that you can have one channel at 800 MHz and one channel at UHF.

Your tone remote has the ability to channel steer to one of the channels you have programmed into the radio. You can select up to 16 channels with Tone Remote.

From the product planner:
If remote control is required, then the number of channels accessible to the remote user depends on the remote control method:
• Mobile-in-a-tray with an external tone remote adaptor and tone deskset will allow access to 1 channel only.
• The Consolette supports E&M, TRC, MCD 5000 and ACIM remote control.
• E&M control allows user access to 1 channel only
• TRC control allows user access to 16 channels
• ACIM control allows user access to 255 channels using the MCC 7500/CCGW
• MCD 5000 control allows user access to the full channel capability of the radio (ex. 1250)

Tone Remote Control Operation:
The Wireline Interface can be used in conjunction with a Tone Remote Control (TRC) Deskset or Console. The Consolette supports the following remote control functionality via Tone Remote Control:

• Channel Select
• Receive Voice
• Secure On/Off
• Transmit Voice
• PTT Press/Release
• ID Reporting
• Monitor

NOTE:
1) Enabling and disabling Scan operation is not supported from a Tone Remote Deskset
2) When TRC is selected, the ACIM link will also be enabled for received call and ID reporting only.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”