Quantar Linking

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mark_wheeler
New User

Quantar Linking

Post by mark_wheeler »

I'm in charge of communications for my geographical area for a National Search and Rescue organization and I recently held a meeting where someone asked why we don't have our repeaters linked together to be able to talk over a geographically larger area than one repeaters footprint. Now I'm a big fan of it however our policy from national requires that "Systems used to interconnect repeaters and remote base stations must support encryption at all time and that it must automatically retransmit original encrypted signals without unsecure intermediate de-crypting and re-encrypting." So with that in mind, how can I go about linking Quantar Repeater A with Quantar Repeater B over an RF Link. I can likely get a UHF or other frequency, however Microwave is FAR out of budget. Also, it is possible to be in the coverage area of both these repeaters in certain circumstances and they're on the same frequency however different PL Tone. Is this still something that can be done?

Mark
srvigalot
New User
What radios do you own?: All Motorola

Re: Quantar Linking

Post by srvigalot »

The correct way to do it would be over Fiber or Microwave using simulcast. You can use an RF link (Not recommended by me) but to have full encryption, you'd need to use encrypted radios for that as well.
Mike Sevigny
Cyber Communications Inc.
(978) 454-4500
MSEVIGNY@CYBERCOMMINC.COM
Bill_G

Re: Quantar Linking

Post by Bill_G »

The encrypted stuff aside for a moment, linking two repeaters that are on the same freq - even if they are on different PL's - and have coverage overlap - will turn into disaster. You want the repeaters on different pairs. And if they are close enough to link together, then they are close enough to hear each other. You just need to add a receiver with a voting interlock that only passes one rcvr at a time.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”