MIP 5000 Network Connectivity

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

grtpalfd
New User

MIP 5000 Network Connectivity

Post by grtpalfd »

Looking for some advice to solve a mystery on one of my MIP 5000 Gateway connections. This system was installed prior to my employment, but it is now my baby to manage. And it has been quite a struggle. After a VERY long road of getting the Gateway to finally connect through our network, we now have another problem. The voice audio from the Comm Center to the Remote site is being blocked. We have good audio from Remote site to Comm Center. The local Motorola shop that originally installed this system cannot resolve it. They blame the Vendor support company that manages our Network. The Network support group says that the network config has no blocks or issues that could be causing the problem. I am now stuck in the middle between these 2 groups that cannot resolve the problem. I would like to go straight to the Motorola engineers to get their help, but I have no idea how to contact them without going through the local Motorola dealer. Here is my system setup:
4 consoles running MIP 5000 computers. Newly installed Motorola certified workstation computers. Wow, were those things expensive!
6 MIP 5000 Gateways in the Comm Center connected to radio towers via the local Telco
1 MIP 5000 Gateway in the Comm Center connected directly to a local installed UHF radio in the Comm Center. No Telco line needed.
1 MIP 5000 Gateway installed at the remote radio site, connected to the radio system at the remote station. This is the Gateway that is not getting audio from the Comm Center. At this site, there is a Sonic Wall 215 that provides a VPN connection back to our main office. This is a new Sonic Wall purchased specifically to handle the MIP 5000 Multicast network traffic. (The prior IT staff had a completely wrong model Sonic Wall that would not handle the Multicast traffic). After installing the Sonic Wall 215 and going through some painful config problems, it was finally determined that an incorrect setting was found that was filtering out Multicast Traffic. As soon as this filter was corrected, the Channel cleared the big Red X on the computer and we had good audio. An hour later, we realized that audio to remote site was being blocked. Lots of playing around and then as a shot in the dark, told the system to Reload the database to the Gateway. We immediately had audio restored to the remote site. But it only lasts a few minutes, then we lose audio again. We never lose connectivity, no more Red X. The staff at the remote end hears the radio key up and stay keyed up as long as the Comm Center is keying the MIC. We can even hit the Alaert tones on the console and those transmit fine over the air, just no voice audio.

The Comm Center network has dual Sonic Wall 3600 devices that run our entire headquarters network. The MIP 5000 software was updated to the most recent version when we installed the replacement computers. All Gateways have received the most recent firmware updates.
I am at a loss here and certainly would appreciate any insight that you could provide.

Thanks
George
Dorf411

Re: MIP 5000 Network Connectivity

Post by Dorf411 »

I would say it is still related to the Sonic Wall and Multicast traffic configuration. You will probably need a really good and patient network guy to get that going.
grtpalfd
New User

Post by grtpalfd »

I agree, it has to be related to the Sonic Wall config. But I just haven't found that secret setting that will clear this all up. I have an open ticket with Sonic Wall tech support and they also claim everything is setup correctly.
Thanks
celltech25

Post by celltech25 »

Sonic Wall Been down that road and never got them to work reliably switched over to cisco gear and been working flawless

I noticed in the dcpm the audio ports would turn red after a few minutes on the sonicwall while the rtcp ports would stay open
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Does the radio IP traffic cross any router or layer 3 switch before besides the firewalls?
Do you have each device with a different MULTICAST IP and UTP port are are they within the standard multicast subnet of 235.0.0.0?
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
grtpalfd
New User

Post by grtpalfd »

desperado wrote:Does the radio IP traffic cross any router or layer 3 switch before besides the firewalls?
Do you have each device with a different MULTICAST IP and UTP port are are they within the standard multicast subnet of 235.0.0.0?
Thanks for the questions...Yes, the data travels from the remote radio, to the Sonic Wall, through the Internet to the main Sonic Wall at our HQ, out of the Sonic Wall into our HP Core Switch (Layer 3), then onto the network to our MIP 5000 computers. Each MIP Gateway has a unique IP address, I am not sure about the UTP port. My network guy confirmed that all this multicast traffic is on the standard 235.0.0.0 subnet that is reserved solely for multicast traffic.
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

I would verify that all gateways are hardcoded with a MULTICAST IP and unique UTP port. Once that is done the next set is to grab a laptop with wireshark on it and go to the far end and have then talk. See if the MULTICAST traffic is arriving at the site. Begin backing up through the network until you find your multicast traffic and you will locate the issue.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
akash1

Post by akash1 »

some tips I took to track down similar mip issues.

Hook up the gateway to a constant audio source, like a scanner parked on a fm station, use vlc player on the otherend to receive the mcast audio. (yes you can, if you know the port# and the mcast address)). Helps to eliminate the console out of the loop, if you suspect networking issues.

check your TTL value, might be set tool low and an additional layer of route boundary might have been added by your n/w provider.
Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

OK OK, I know I'm digging up a ripe thread but this is for those in need and have stumbled here on a search.

I have just gone through the circus of trying to connect a console to a remote radio site (not a MIP 5000) and passing multicast packets.
We have had our wireless broadband provider and a hired gun network engineer banging heads trying to get multicast through the link with no joy. Very frustrating.

We then were referred to a unique device. We ordered two, one for each end. My boss and I (not IT guys by any stretch of the means} had these things up and running in less than a day. Those more knowledgeable can probably configure them in a hour or so. It is a very simple set-up and worked like a charm. Hope this helps someone out.

Info:

https://www.dcbnet.com/datasheet/ut3302ds.html

Set up for MIP 5000:

https://www.dcbnet.com/notes/MIP_30_VPN_2215247G-01.pdf
Lots and lots of watts...

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”