Quantar Service Manual?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arvetus
New User

Quantar Service Manual?

Post by arvetus »

Our local ham club has "acquired" a Moto Quantar R2 VHF repeater. While it would be better if it was R1, we have been able to program it to the 146 range with no issue, however, the Rx sensitivity is horrid. I mean, it works, and would work in an emergency for local comms, and by local, I really do mean "local."

I understand it can be aligned and there are a few of us that do have some experience with interfacing to Moto products and aligning filters and have access to IFR's and the like, but I'd like to at least be able to align the receiver in the Quantar so that it could actually be a viable repeater either as an emergency repeater we could deploy for ARES activation or loan to other clubs if they had an ARES activation.

Where can I get a service manual with instruction of how to do this? I can tell that the receiver has 7 coils that can be adjusted but I have no instruction on this. Any ideas or can anyone point me in the right direction?
fixanythingman72

Re: Quantar Service Manual?

Post by fixanythingman72 »

take a look at the manual here
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110664

You are going to need to tune the preselector for your frequency as it is probay making your receiver def if it has not been returned to your new frequency. You mention that you have been able to program it down to 146, but How far out of band are you planning to run it?

When tuning the preselector I would recommend calculating the tunning frequency as if it was an r1 receiver. You are going to need some test equipment as well as the cavity probe in order to tune the preselector.

-Kyle
arvetus
New User

Post by arvetus »

146 is going to be about as far out as we'll run it being as it's an R2 and there are limits. But 146.34/94 is where we've successfully been able to get it and probably about as far out as we'll go with it.
KI4M

Post by KI4M »

You can tune that internal preselector with a tracking generator with success or tune it for quieting also in a pinch. All you need for that is an accurate variable signal generator. Take the signal down to where it is starting to get noisy and tune each helical for maximum quieting. When you get to a point of more quieting than noise turn the signal generator level down. This works well and will be sufficient for ham use. That preselector is about as broad as a barn door and isn't high Q so no worries about it not being exact.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”