a Quantar question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

immelmen28

a Quantar question

Post by immelmen28 »

I just picked up a VHF quantar to be used on a Ham conventional repeater pair. After giving it a once over I have found the SCM is an EPIC II CLN6960 which is an IntelliRepeater SCM... and RSS is showing it loaded with R020.14.519 SCM firmware which I believe is late IR firmware.

From my research here and elsewhere, I have read that IntelliRepeater SCMs and firmware will not do conventional...however, this unit is currently programed for conventional and appears operates normally after some quick testing. Much of the info I found on the IR stuff was dated, back to 2005-2008 or so...Did my searching miss where later IR stations can also do conventional or is something else going on here?
wa6ylb

Re: a Quantar question

Post by wa6ylb »

It appears that you need to convert your firmware to standard conventional firmware. Please send me a Private message.
B.
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

Well, it seems that is not the case which is why I was asking. I have the station currently programmed for and operating normally in convention repeat mode, so my question was not so much will this repeater work...rather when did conventional become a capability of IR firmware?...as most info regarding IR firmware on the various boards lead me to believe it was not possible...but it is.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Are you confusing it with an EPIC V controller? They will not do conventional at all - they're built on totally different boards with 10/100 Ethernet capability and were intended for use in modern Astro25 7.x trunking systems.

I have a couple of 800 Quantars with the same IR firmware load and they do conventional just fine. They came out of an IR site on a 4.1 Smartzone system.
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

motorola_otaku wrote:Are you confusing it with an EPIC V controller? They will not do conventional at all - they're built on totally different boards with 10/100 Ethernet capability and were intended for use in modern Astro25 7.x trunking systems.

I have a couple of 800 Quantars with the same IR firmware load and they do conventional just fine. They came out of an IR site on a 4.1 Smartzone system.

Thank you for confirming... Most of the posts I was reading about avoiding the IR firmware was ancient, going back to when they were new to the second hand market...that combined with late night research likely lead to me crossing up the info....

Regarding your post though...is that a typo because I thought the EPIC IV was the P25 Trunking only controller and the five was good to go for conventional or trunk?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”