Monitoring Input Frequencies For Interference

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

Monitoring Input Frequencies For Interference

Post by Birken Vogt »

There is no better word for it.

Jerks, and I am calling them jerks, are licensing frequencies in conflict with our existing ones and we have to keep chasing them off. It is very time consuming and I am afraid if one of them gets established on one of our frequencies without our notice it may be impossible.

A neighboring shop had this happen where some unauthorized bean counter in the county signed a letter of concurrence for a repeater system on the same frequency 2 counties over and now they have destructive interference and the FCC and coordinator won't do anything because there is a LOC even though the person who signed it was some nameless pencil pusher.

In our case they managed to ram through a repeater output on our input, again 2 counties over with signal levels in the -80 range to us. We finally got them to agree it was a bad idea (after them saying "well we use a different PL" and ridiculous things like that) but the effort was substantial.

To this end I am thinking of setting up another repeater listening to the same antenna set up for carrier squelch and use a back channel for audio from that. Then if I hear heterodyning on the main system I can listen to the back channel when the main is not active and see who it is. But I would like to disable repeat of the carrier repeater if it is a valid decode on the main. The main is a MTR2000. I don't know if the RDStat is TOR or COR but I am hoping I could feed it to the repeat disable of another (cheap) repeater if it is TOR.

Anybody tried anything like this?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”