MSF5000 900Mhz Mods

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KD4GPI

MSF5000 900Mhz Mods

Post by KD4GPI »

I just got 5 C85GFB5203AT's. These are the trunked versions. Is there anything special that needs to be done to make these work as conventional repeaters on the 900Mhz band other than programming/tuning?

Thanks,
KD4GPI
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

nope, just create a new codeplug from the templates included in the MSF software and blast it.

it'll tune right up.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Re: ..

Post by MSS-Dave »

batdude wrote:nope, just create a new codeplug from the templates included in the MSF software and blast it.

it'll tune right up.

doug
Doug...

Will the MSF RSS allow programming into 902/927 on the GFB model without mods or not? My C85CLB went right there using the R1801 and disabling range checking.

Thanks.

Dave
Well...Ex /\/\SS.
batdude

Post by batdude »

i think it gives you the "ARE YOU SURE" messages when you enter the out of band freqs...

it complains, but it takes it

just stay at the 902/927 split - i wouldn't go far from there

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
KD4GPI

Post by KD4GPI »

Thanks Doug. Georgia uses the 25Mhz split so that won't be a problem.

Thanks again for the help.

Jeff
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

OK, I'm going to jump in here with a MSF5000 newbie question.

First off, I want to make it clear that I know diddly about this line of radios.

However, I have a line (a VERY thin line) on a ton of trunked 900 MSF's.
(Actually, as much as they weigh, I have a line on about 31 tons of them...)

I'm told that they aren't going to do anyone much good, since they were used on a trunked system that used a rubidium (sp?) timing standard. They apparently are missing a reference oscillator necessary for standalone operation, and the cost to retrofit each one is way beyond their value as 10+year old units.

Any comment?
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
batdude

Post by batdude »

true sorta

without a high stability timing reference, your digital 900 tray will not function as it uses this timing for the basis of operation for the whole station.

i betcha if you look at each and every one of these stations, you'll find more than one that still has the high stability oscillator in the bottom of the cabinet.

of course, if you CAN'T find one with the oscillator, watch ebay - they show up occasionally.

yes, they are like $5000 from motorola.

if you have unrestrained (and unlimited) access the the stations for parts, there are tons of hams who could use the PA and circulator setup for 900Mhz projects. the msf PA shelf is the most rugged and longest lasting shelf around- the "high" power 900 units @ 75w last forever. 150w units use a driver and final PA - each the same size...

if the control shelf is a digital with the 3 digit LED display then that board too is useful as it can be reprogrammed or modified with little effort to work on other bands (VHF/UHF) - there might be a few component differences, but a new codeplug results in correct operation 99% of the time (i've done a 800 Mhz to UHF control shelf conversion with no problems)

bernie here on batlabs is by far the expert on the MSF here.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
KD4GPI

UHSO

Post by KD4GPI »

I need to look at the docs but if the MSF is just looking for the 10 Mhz ref, any high stab ref osc will work. A Quantar can be told what to look for through the RSS.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

There is a Ham in the Seattle area who has a large number of MSF 5000's on the 902-928 MHz Ham band. He has a number of simulcast Transmitters (using GPS for sync), and a ton of voting Receivers. Seem to work quite nicely. His 900 MHz machines are also linked to his network of 440 MHz MSF 5000's.

larry
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The 800 MHz units can work with an external reference, but I don't think it's a common simple frequency; something like 14.4 MHz. I have the manual for the VHF/UHF/800 models and very little is mentioned about how to hook up the external reference, besides where to get power for it. Even the input on the RF tray, from this reference, is not specified.

While there are a few differences in the 800 MHz SSCB units, the major ones are the addition of a "flutter-fighter" for 800, and possibly narrower bandwidth for transmitted audio. I don't have a 900 MHz manual available so I can't tell you much about those units.

Bob M.
MSS-Dave

Re: UHSO

Post by MSS-Dave »

KD4GPI wrote:I need to look at the docs but if the MSF is just looking for the 10 Mhz ref, any high stab ref osc will work. A Quantar can be told what to look for through the RSS.
Not 100% sure without the manual but the MSF with external oscillator option should be looking for 5 MHz (at least on 900 MHz). 800 and other bands will have a internal reference unless optioned for simulcast.

Dave
Well...Ex /\/\SS.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
I am on vacation, and do not have manuals for 800 or 900 simulcast stations.
In my limited experience with stations that require external reference I recall there is some sort of oscillator such as a Rubidium with a 10 Meg output.
This feeds a sythensizer that runs at 14.4 Meg.
The chassis looks like the UHS PURC/MSF/Micor synthesizer.
This feeds a multicoupler that feeds 14.4 to each station.

Perhaps the UNI board has the foil pattern for a 1ppm oscillator such as in the 800 stations.
The parts could be salvaged from an 800 board.
You should be so lucky if you had a UHF station the old 2PPM 14.4 channel element is left in place, several small components clopped from the standard board. It might be worth a look.

If a lower stability is acceptable, or for testing you could use a radio with a 14.4 Meg reference, and connect the radios oscillator to the ext ref jack on the station. I recall this is a BNC.
The input to the RF tray is on the right side. There are 2 RCA plugs, one marked REF IN.
I have an old "A" 800 analog board which was replaced in a mandatory update program.
I use the 14.4 oscillator to provide the 14.4 reference for the UHF ext reference stations that come to my shop for repair.
All I have to do is provide 9.5 volts to the proper traces and tacked a RCA
cable to the reference output on the board.
Aloha, Bernie
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

There was recently one of these external reference oscillators on eBay for the MSF 5000. I think it was like $9,000 new, and it sold for a few hundred bucks. You might want to crusie around eBay for another unit.

larry
n8obu
What radios do you own?: more than i can list

purc 5000 900 mhz/ uhf

Post by n8obu »

i have any parts one could need i run these on vhf / uhf and uhf high 900mhz they work great just keep the power at /or lower than its rated output if one runs one on uhf /440 there is a mod that one should do that keeps the 5 mhz ref from mixing with the out put and ending up on your input if you run a + offset and on 900 mhz let them warm up for at least 1 hour to settle down on freq and 24 hour befor fine tuning them , i am skeaking of the high stab units :D
MSS-Dave

Post by MSS-Dave »

if one runs one on uhf /440 there is a mod that one should do that keeps the 5 mhz ref from mixing with the out put and ending up on your input if you run a + offset
Ummmm.... can you help me on this one??? I've worked on UHF MSF for years and I've never had any problems with the reference mixing with the TX (well, the internal reference anyway, never used external on UHF). TX is low and RX is high. Used them from 443 to 465 on TX as well.

Dave
Well...Ex /\/\SS.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”