FD Siren clocks

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

FD Siren clocks

Post by Pj »

In trying not to moderate myself, I'll try this here :)

Looking at replacing a clock that is getting tired. The only thing it does is set up the siren for the one round noontime whistle. The clock in there is giving out again, and has to be at least 30 years old.

It controls an old school Federal Signal mechincal siren. I can get the actual model number in a day or two.

Any suggestions, makes/models, prices? Figuring a new fangled electronic one should suffice.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Will

Post by Will »

Kinda like the air horn in the town square for the Sierra Madre Vol. Fire Dept. One more problem with this one was the telephone Co. dry DC line going from the fire station to the town square.

It used to go off when there was a fire call, but no more.
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

Grainger has a fairly simple electronic timer that can be set up to provide a 30 second pulse, one time a day.

look at http://www.grainger.com part number 1XC73

It can be set to skip days if you want to skip siren on Sunday's and has battery to carry over power failures and keep programing intact.

I have been replacing all my electro-mechanical timers in my Gensets with it. We no longer do a noon siren but if we did I would use it there also.

Runs on 100 to 240 VAC and has relay output to drive the load.
Cause Motorola said so that's why
Andy Brinkley
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: FMR80D and a Motrac with Scan

Post by Andy Brinkley »

I agree with MassFD about using a programmable timer. The ones I have used from Grainger are made by OMRON and can be programmed to do most anything you want. The only draw back is when you are replacing the old Federal timers you will need to buy a small electrical enclosure for the timer.

Grainger also still carries the mechanical clock motor type timers but I never could find one that would give a 1 or 2 minute "on" time pulse.
Andy / NC4AB
jim

Post by jim »

The Grainger 1XC73 is the one that I use frequently for curfew siren event timers. Basically the same as the 1XC72, as pointed out.
It gives to 1-30 seconds of monenary or long-time latching.
It's a little tricky to program for the first time, but only the first time.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Programmers...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Most, but not all, timers these days are available in solid-state versions as well as the good old mechanical type. Be advised that in
these kinds of applicaitons (sirens, bells in schools, etc.) you also will need a "duration" switch in line with the output. It's nothing more than a motor with a cam switch that closes for a shorter duration than one minute. Schools usually use a six-second duration. If the control unit has it built-in then so much the better. For the long term, and if the budget will stand it, you're better off with a standard program machine from a company such as Cincinnati, Stromberg, Simplex Time, or National, to name just four sources. They're reliable as can be, and will last many years with minimal maintenance.

I sold this kind of equipment for a total of 21 years of my sales career.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

"curfew siren"? Are you living in Nazi Germany?
GMC

Post by GMC »

Tom......

I did some of the same work...... but these days most of the electronic time clocks can be set to do that function..........
Will

Post by Will »

Cam22 wrote:"curfew siren"? Are you living in Nazi Germany?
No, we used to have one in a small town I lived in. It would remind you it is time to "come home". It was great, we got realy involved in playing kick the can, and lost all track of time.
psapengineer

Call Federal

Post by psapengineer »

Try calling Federal Signal's Outdoor Warning Siren group. They still make an electronic version of the old AR series controller. Bob

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”