CDM1250 weird tone?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Spatch713

CDM1250 weird tone?

Post by Spatch713 »

I have a low band, VHF and UHF CDM1250 in our back room going to a MC2500 remote in the office. This setup was installed a month ago. For no appearent reason out of the blue a steady beep/tone is emitted from the remote. When looking at the remote it is coming from the VHF CDM. THe call light will be on, call will be displayed on the remote and the actual radio itself emits this tone and lights the receive LED. This tone/beep doesnt allow any channel traffic to be heard. If you tap the PTT real quickly it goes away and everthing is back to normal.

I have no idea what is causing this but I know for sure call alert, selective call, etc are all disabled. Any ideas what is causing this?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You say all the alerts are turned off...is that in the radio, or the remote? There are alert settings in the remote as well. Just checking...

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Spatch713

Post by Spatch713 »

They are all turned off in the radio not the remote. BUT, no one uses MDC on the channels this radio is used on. I just dont understand what is causing this.
jim

Post by jim »

Are you able to send me a codeplug for this radio?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

If the remote is showing the 'call' on the display and giving the alert, then it's a problem with the remote, not the radio. The radio doesn't "talk" to the MC2500 at all, it's just a fancy tone remote. Even if the radio was set up for call alert & the like, the remote wouldn't know the difference. Do you have the RSS for the remote so you can check the settings? The VHF doesn't happen to have QCII traffic on it or anything like that, does it?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Spatch713

Post by Spatch713 »

There are no QCII settings in the radio. Ok, i see your point about how the radio and remote communicate. I have the CDM software but not the remote software. Looks like I need to call our vendor and have them take a look.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Spatch713 wrote:There are no QCII settings in the radio.
I was actually asking of there was QCII traffic on the VHF frequency, not if the radio was set up with any. It seems to me the remote is seeing some type of valid page, be it QCII, MDC, etc. Hopefully your vendor can shed some light.

Todd

Spatch713

Post by Spatch713 »

I misunderstood you.

No there is no QCII or any other type of two-tone sequential paging. There might be some MDC that sneaks in every now and then. The reason for this is the agency on this VHF channel is using a Motorola repeater and HT's but Midland mobiles which dont have the reverse burst. Of course this allows other users on the input to come in for a few hundred milliseconds of the squelch crash at the end of a transmission. The input of the repeater is polluted with a lot of other agencies. We just happen to be able to hear most of them. The search will continue for a new clean input frequency.
Spatch713

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Spatch713 »

OK, after this problem has persisted forever I finally stopped being lazy and called our local /\/\ shop. Here's what the problem is.

The tone remote adapater levels were too high. Somehow the CDM radio was being told to switch to an unprogrammed channel (eventhough none existed) causing the radio to emit that annoying low tone that we are all familiar with when you switch to an unprogrammed channel. Of course, this tone is sent down the line to the remote making the call indicator come on.

I guess this problem was seen at a oil company that had a CDM set up as a base with MC remotes as well.

The keying tone levels were lowered and the problem disappeared. The tech said this is a rare issue he has only seen in the newer tone remote adapters. Hope this helps anyone having this issue. Thanks to all for your support.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”