Controlling CDM1550 with MC2000 Tone Remotes

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hkevin_99

Controlling CDM1550 with MC2000 Tone Remotes

Post by hkevin_99 »

Question 1. Is it possible to make the CDM1550 Base scan from a MC2000 Tone Remote making the scan stop or start as if on the radio head?

Question 2. Have been told that once a MC2000 Tone Remote is connected to a CDM1550, you lose local operation of the CDM1550. Is this correct? Is there any workaround to allow control at either simular to a dual head radio?

Any comments appreciated
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

1. Not that I know of.

2. The radio retains full functionality, assuming you use the accessory pins for the remote connections, leaving the mic port free.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Answers:

1) You can do this - however - you have to program the personalities for auto scan. So when you change channels, the radio will come in/out of scan, depending on the personality.

Now, Does the MC2000 allow you to change channels when used with the correct tone remote - I'm not 100% sure.

However, we have one radio in service at one location I helped setup that has 15 selectable channels, with each channel having it's own scan list.

There is no way to take it out of scan on a given channel, unless you then choose a channel that does not have it's own scan list.

2) We ended up using the Mic port on our radio to enable monitor on a given channel. Other than that, nothing exciting.

You must make sure that you buy the more advanced tone remote to work with the CDM's. We saved some money and didn't buy the Motorola remotes, we went with Gaitronics tone remotes, and they work as well as the Motorola. (I think the Motorola ones are re-bagged Gaitronics anyway).

Keep in mind:

If you change the channel on the radio - the console and it's operator(s) have no idea that the channel has changed, thus, the screen [on the console] will show the last channel the console remembers being told to change to.

-Alex
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

I'll jump in too, with some additions / clarifications:

1) You cannot connect a tone remote directly to the CDM1550. You have to connect it to a tone remtoe adapter, which then interfaces to the radio via the accessory conenctor on the rear. You could also use the mic jack on the front, but you would lose any functions beyond PTT, TX audio, RX audio, and Monitor. As a result, your options for remote control are limited to those that can be programmed for control by a pin on the accessory connector.

2) When a tone remote adapter is attached, the front panel microphone jack, controls, and display will still be useable. However, if you have your tone remote and accessory connector pins set up for channel steering, the front panel channel and zone selection keys will be locked out, so you can not change the channel locally. If you do not have the radio configured for channel steering by the remote, you can change channels locally, howver, the remote user will have no way of knowing what channel they are transmitting / receiving on.

3) Since scan cannot be turned off from the accessory connector, you can't control it directly. As Alex indicated, you can create a channel that has a mode slaved scan, and steer to that channel when you want to scan.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Hrm, I wonder if ours is disabled then.

We have 2 CDM1550's + a MSF Limited connected up to a MC2500 console. We can channel steer the two CDM1550's, the MSF could be used to do channel steering, however, we have it disabled since we and another dispatcher have to use that transmitter.

I figured we could change the channel on the actual console, as well as the 1550 at the same time if we wanted to, but now maybe not. I'd have to look in to this, but I won't be near the setup again till April.

Another thing that I didn't think to mention when trying to do the above - you could also try wiring a HUB (hang up button) in to scan - so that way you could hit a button on the console (like monitor) and it would cause the radio to think it's Mic is off hook, and subsequently top scan - but this usually also opens the squelch on the radio.

I don't remember how CDM's work in this respect, but it's just another idea to toss out there.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
doall108
New User

Re: Controlling CDM1550 with MC2000 Tone Remotes

Post by doall108 »

hi, we have a small volunteer company for fire department, i set up their repeater they are using MDC-1200, now they want to be able to Enable/Disable radios, so i want to do a MC-2000 to a CDM-1250, but my questions are im very not familiar with the MC-2000, so first of all do i need a junction box or someting for just this Enable/Disable Option or just connect it? because i dont need more then 1, second question do i need to program MC-2000 or the junction box (if i need 1) itself? or just the pins and accessory config in the CDM-1250?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You don't need a junction box (AKA, tone remote adaptor) as the MC2000 can be configured as a "local" remote and connect directly to the CDM. You will need the MC2000 programming software to configure it.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
doall108
New User

Post by doall108 »

Ok sounds good, what about to connect it to an XTL-5000
doall108
New User

Post by doall108 »

Hi guys, I finally got my MC2000 L3216A, but I'm pretty disappointed it does not have a 25 pin connector like the MC2500, So is there anyway to connect it without a junction box without a 25 pin connector? Second question, can I connect that to a XTL5000 instead of a CDM1550?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”