HELP! Motorola Quantar VHF Down (ambulance service)

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ComEms

HELP! Motorola Quantar VHF Down (ambulance service)

Post by ComEms »

Good Morning! Anyone have any ideas on what my problem is? We have a Motorola Quantar VHF TX 155.1825 DPL 174 RX 150.805 DPL 343 and out of the blue the repeater output seems to be working but it does not TX on the proper DPL. If I take one of my mobile or portables and key up the machine there is no audio of the repeater tail unless I manually open the PL on each radio. What am I looking at? Any Ideas? What kind of down time am I looking at? I am only using motorola MCS2000's, XTS3000's & XTS5000's and Astro Spectras. Within the last month I put up new hard line and a new Antenex Mountaineer. Machine was tested and we have had no problem at all! It is usually a screamer for the area we are in. It is also in a locked secure room of its own. Good climate etc... Just when everything seems great.... Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated. And woulnt you know my back up desktop (for times like these) is in the shop... I got a new duplexer for it and I am having them tune it. Thanks TD EMAIL: tdunlay@comems.com
TD
CEMS
Needham MA
TDunlay@comems.com
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

You try power cycling the unit? I don't know a whole lot about them, but the off/on trick works pretty well with a lot of different stuff.

I'd say also try reseating the cards in the unit, or look for other things that look amiss - but I do not know the correct procedure for doing this - you should also be in a static safe environment while doing this.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
ComEms

Post by ComEms »

Thanks. I tried that first off the bat no change but I am letting it sit and will try it again! Nothing is in fail mode or giving any indication of what is wrong. What are the odds? Do these have any kind of history of just letting go? Un provoked? Not a heavy ammount of traffic on this machine and it has an ideal install/setup... Thanks TD (UGGHH!)
TD
CEMS
Needham MA
TDunlay@comems.com
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

unplug unit for 10 minutes from all power sources - including the wireline if equipped.

boot station.

see if problem remains.

if it does, read and re-write the station codeplug.

if you get a message that conditioning is required, do so - just make sure your laptop is plugged into AC power - as a failure during conditioning will probably nuke the station control module.

i'd bet that this is just a problem with the codeplug data - which can get corrupted over time.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
fubb26

Post by fubb26 »

if i remember correctlly, there will be no PL on the squelch tail if you use a different RX & TX code. i believe that it defaults like that so it can work as a limited community repeater.
jwb8734
What radios do you own?: To many Motorola and Vertex

Post by jwb8734 »

Well after talking to a friend of mine he says you narrowed your problem to the output. He said the deviation of the DPL might be to far off. The RSS will correct that but you do need to have it on the analyzer.

If you have the both then you should be all set.
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

The /\/\ factory does not check the Quantar for PL / DPL in the repeat mode, everything's checked in the Carrier Squelch mode. DPL transmits a Binary Word and always sends a 134 Hz Turn Off Code or TOC the equivalent of Reverse Burst to Squelch the receivers.

When checking the DPL on a Service Monitor, the DPL should Deviate at +/- 500 Hz on a Quantar Base Station / Repeater. Your Service Monitor should be able to Decode the proper DPL Code on the transmitted signal otherwise there's no way to know if it's correct.

TD's original problem does not state whether this Quantar Repeater has a Remote Console connected to the unit and IF any receiver recovered audio is heard at the Dispatch Console? The No Tx Audio could be failing anywhere along the internal routed path. Could the No Tx Audio be failing just the Tx DPL or both Repeated Tx Audio & DPL?

TD, Do you have Surge Protectors on your Antenna Heliax Transmission Line, the Primary 121V AC Power Line and the Tone Remote Control Telco Lines?
Bob W

Post by Bob W »

You may need to perform (more likely, have someone with the tools perform) the Reference Modulation Compensation Alignment. I've had several Quantars in a SmartZone system get wierd with the low speed data (DPL) and result in radios not opening on some repeaters. Things age, and the waveform transmitted gets funny.
Bob W

Post by Bob W »

ComEms:

Any update on the problem?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”