One line, one T1605, two radios

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w4rez
What radios do you own?: Maratrac, GM300, MCX1000

One line, one T1605, two radios

Post by w4rez »

Is it possible to configure a 2 freq T1605 (Or any other two frequency remote for that matter) to operate two different radios over one leased line?

What I am thinking is set one remote adapter to respond to the F1 tone and the other to respond to the F2 tone.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
Exactly what do you want to do?

You could connect many base stations in paralell using tone remote. a function tone for frequency select could be assigned to each base.

The only small problem is that the recovered audio from each site if they are on the same channel and PL code.

Receiving multiple signals with out a voting comparator can cause distortion issues, as well as the received signal will be the noisiest.

You would have to assign a unique recieve "PL"code for each site.

You would also have to consider the double termination issue.
One of the stations will have to be set for "bridging", or perhaps a resistor 3 port matching network.

You are only limited by your immignation.
Aloha, Bernie
w4rez

Post by w4rez »

bernie wrote:My two bits worth:
Exactly what do you want to do?

You could connect many base stations in paralell using tone remote. a function tone for frequency select could be assigned to each base.

The only small problem is that the recovered audio from each site if they are on the same channel and PL code.

Receiving multiple signals with out a voting comparator can cause distortion issues, as well as the received signal will be the noisiest.

You would have to assign a unique recieve "PL"code for each site.

You would also have to consider the double termination issue.
One of the stations will have to be set for "bridging", or perhaps a resistor 3 port matching network.

You are only limited by your immignation.
Ok when I say "base" I mean the actual transceivers at the site, interfaced to the phone line with tone remote adapters. I can't go the simple dual channel tranceiver route because the channels are on different frequency bands.

So this would be 2 transceivers, 1 leased line, and one control point (tone remote).

I think we're on the on the same page, now that I've clarified that I wouldn't need a voter. Does this make better sense now? What do you mean by a "resistor 3 port matching network?"
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

MY etc:
Do you intend to transmit simultaniouesly from each station?
Are the stations on the same site?

600Z line theory:
For best power transfer all the ciuit components should be the same, 600 ohms impedance (Z)

Two 600Z devices paralelled would equal 300Z, a mis match that could cause audio distortion, as well as cross talk on the telephone line.

One of the remote adaptors likely has a "bridging jumper."
Usuially a 1200 ohm resistor accross the line transformer secondary.
If not a network can be made from resistors maintaining match.

Not absouletelty necessary. It will also work if everything is in parelell. I just like to keep as close too Motorola standards as I can.
Aloha, Bernie
w4rez

Post by w4rez »

bernie wrote:MY etc:
Do you intend to transmit simultaniouesly from each station?
Negative. Simultaneous receive but not transmit.
Are the stations on the same site?
Yes, which will make life much, much easier.
600Z line theory:
For best power transfer all the ciuit components should be the same, 600 ohms impedance (Z)

Two 600Z devices paralelled would equal 300Z, a mis match that could cause audio distortion, as well as cross talk on the telephone line.

One of the remote adaptors likely has a "bridging jumper."
Usuially a 1200 ohm resistor accross the line transformer secondary.
If not a network can be made from resistors maintaining match.

Not absouletelty necessary. It will also work if everything is in parelell. I just like to keep as close too Motorola standards as I can.
Gotcha. One of my remote adapters will be a Cetec Vega (haven't received it yet), and not sure yet what the other one will be, but hopefully one of them will have the bridging jumper, as I imagine systems are setup like this pretty often. This is going to be a non mission critical, duct tape and baling twine system so being within specs isn't crucial just as long as it works, sounds good, and I'm not burning up components.
psapengineer

Tx Rx Strapping

Post by psapengineer »

You may also want do do the following:

(This kind of varies depending on whether you are using a traditional crystal controlled station or a programmable station; but, you will get the idea.)

Set/Strap both stations such that they are always receiving on the desired frequency.

Set both stations to respond to the transmit command for both F1 and F2 function tones. This should mute the respective receiver.

Set/strap the first station to transmit for only the F1 command. You can do this by jumpering the channel element correctly or programming the correct transmit frequency. The "other" station should have the F1 frequency blanked or not jumpered at the channel element and control transistor.

Set/strap the second station to transmit for only the F2 command. You and do this by jumpering the channel element correctly or programming the correct transmit frequency. The "other" station should have the F2 frequency blanked or not jumpered at the channel element.

If you don't do this and you're sharing a wireline control pair, if you're talking on one station and the other starts receiving the Rx audio will dribble out of the Transmitting station. (Something you probably don't want to do.)

Of course, given what you're doing, you will hear both at once if they are both receiving at the same time with no way to sort the audios out.

Good Luck, Bob
w4rez

Post by w4rez »

You're right! I figured this could be done but I knew that there would be some little gotcha that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks everybody.
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

I can show you a much easier way to get this accopmlished where you wont need to do any special techniques to acheive desired results. Why in the heck would anybody use a leased DC circuit anymore is beyond me. Too $$ and that was the last 100 years with the infrastructure falling apart and telco support doesn't even know what the circuit is so you never can get anything done quickly. Come to your senses and use packet rather than circuit.

Steve
w4rez

Post by w4rez »

Well in this case the circuit is already there and is free. VoIP would be a bit of overkill for this particular application.
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

I am not sure why choosing a different mode constitutes going overboard. It is jsut another mode (Circuit switch vs. Packet Switch)

Steve
w4rez

Post by w4rez »

Because....

For this application all I need is a pair of wires going from point A to point B and they're already in place and don't touch the telco. I can interface the remote on one end and the remote adapters on the other end without having to put any other equipment on the wires in order to convert to/from digital. Plus I can do this with 2 wires whereas even if I were to use strictly ethernet between the points that would require 4 wires and Cat 5 grade cable. In order to do IP over 2 wires it would require not only VoIP gateways on each end, but would also require a pair of ADC Pairgain SDSL modems, and a pair of routers *or* T1 cards in the VoIP gateways. Of course with this application the remote and the tranceivers are close enough to each other where I could do all this over 802.11b/g but once again...the wires are already there and it's relatively simple to connect the remote and adapters to the ends and let 'er rip.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”